Exhaust question/concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
First off, I drive a 2015 Ram 1500 Rebel with the 5.7. She's got 6500 miles and I just did my first oil change on it.

I'm concerned with the amount of build up on my exhaust tips. I talked to the dealership and they said that's somewhat Normal but couldn't really give me an explanation as to why. It's like "soot" that you would see on a diesel Truck with def/egr/emissions deleted.

I read online that winter blended fuels can do this but I don't remember it being there on my 14 ram express with a 5.7 last year.

Also concerning is when I got my first oil change done, the shop told me I was just about 2 quarts low on oil.

Anyone have this experience before on their new truck? Or is it completely Normal? I guess it could have just been low from the factory...

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Sounds like you have some blow by on your rings. I have never had to add oil between changes.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. Sounds like the rings didn't seat well. 2qts low is an indicator of some blowby.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to tell. I wouldn't worry yet though. Keep track of the oil level/make-up this change and you will know for sure.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lol 10k. No ******* way I'd go that, we'll I don't have a gasser anymore, but no. Nor would I trust some ******* message on a screen. To each his own.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP, I would recommend filling it up and just keeping an eye on your oil level in between changes. If it starts using excessive oil take it in and have the dealership look at it under your warranty. Just don't let it run low.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
To the OP, I would recommend filling it up and just keeping an eye on your oil level in between changes. If it starts using excessive oil take it in and have the dealership look at it under your warranty. Just don't let it run low.

Thanks..will do. Appreciate the input. That's what I was going to to do anyways. I guess there is always a chance that not the full amount of oil was put in from the factory. I know winter blended fuel can cause "soot" around the exhaust tip too.

Will-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Manual states that some oil loss at first is normal, but I don't think 2 quarts is normal. I agree with everyone else - monitor it IMO.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Imeavtitn: I am curious what type of driving was done that first 6500 miles?

Was it mostly city-->Stop and Go? Start the engine drive a short distance then shut the engine off?

My only advice check the oil level and get her out on the highway or interstate and open her up for a while... Work her a little bit!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned befor " BLOW BY " if you are getting excessive blow by via the piston rings then your oil crankcase is being over pressurized, and the excessive pressure is then being vented by the Positive Crankcase Ventilation ( PCV ) system as normal . The problem with this " as normal " condition is all that oily mist with condensation and contaminated fuel mixture is being plumbed straight into your engines air intake / combustion chamber .
The combustion chamber works best with zero contamination, hence the reason we have air filters and fuel filters .....

Maybe the PCV is just stuck open ?
Pop up your air inlet duct and see if your throttle body is oily .
Just a suggestion.

Do you have an oil catch can?

A good read : www.oilcatchcan.com

www.eliteengineeringusa.com

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
When my truck was new I changed out factory oils at 1500, I also used non synthetic for the second oil and then changed that at another 2500. 3rd change I run full synthetic and change at 5000. Some say running a full synthetic when motor is new can affect the seating of rings. Keep N eye on oil levels as I also never have to add a drop between changes. I also run a moroso catch can, really easy to drain with the petcock on bottom. It really works and catches some nasty stuff.