Extended Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

astroshark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Flexfuel
So I am thinking about getting the mopar maximum care extended warranty. I was just curious I had the dealer replace my manual folding tow mirrors on my 2020 RAM 1500 with power folding ones (All ordered from Mopar) except they didn't know what I was talking about for flashing the sales code to make it work. I went to like 5 dealerships all of them told me they couldn't do or had no idea what I was talking about. So I went to OBD Genie and flashed it myself and now my power folding mirrors work, but my main concern is that will flashing the sales code myself with the OBD Genie void the extended warranty?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
No...and yes-ish.

The Magnuson-Moss Act prevents voiding the warranty for non-original parts and services. That being said you might get pushback since they are not part of the build associated with your VIN. Since they are OEM and installed by a dealership it should not be an issue. If something goes wrong with them then you might have to revert back to the installation warranty, depending on the reaction of the service person you talk to.

That only applies to the mirrors themselves. Everything else on the truck is covered since I don't think they can attribute much to tow mirrors causing problems with anything else on the truck.

Many Mopar service departments can be difficult since there is no clear standards and expectations enforced by corporate. "Shop around" until you find one that you like and you shouldn't have any problems. There are 6 in my area and only 1 that I would go to for service.

rambilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I am thinking about getting the mopar maximum care extended warranty. I was just curious I had the dealer replace my manual folding tow mirrors on my 2020 RAM 1500 with power folding ones (All ordered from Mopar) except they didn't know what I was talking about for flashing the sales code to make it work. I went to like 5 dealerships all of them told me they couldn't do or had no idea what I was talking about. So I went to OBD Genie and flashed it myself and now my power folding mirrors work, but my main concern is that will flashing the sales code myself with the OBD Genie void the extended warranty?

Astroshark, I just bought a used 2021 Ram 1500 that came with the power side steps. It must have been an aftermarket by Amp. Anyway, I would like to add the option of disabling and enabling it through the display screen but it's not available. I've asked the dealer I bought from and they don't know how to add that option. Where did you get the "sales code" is that something you get from the dealer? I bought the AlphaOBD software and the OBDLinkEX I haven't use it yet because I'm not sure how to use it. I was wondering if you can give me an insight? Thanks for any help you can provide.

v/r

Rick

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Plenty of guidance on this forum as well as 5thgenrams. You should be able to find the settings to adjust somewhere in those conversations.

"Sales Codes" are harder to get done these days. Over the last few years corporate has increased their dislike upon post-production additions of items. You could add it yourself (or have a dealership install it) then have the dealership add the sales code. This not only changes the settings in the BCM to accommodate full functionality of the item(s) but then adds it to your VIN so any future work includes that option and programming.

You could always find a dealership to do this but the sales code would cost you a pretty penny. Now it seems that corporate doesn't like VIN builds being changed after assembly so dealerships are more hesitant to do that...which is usually "we don't know how" or "won't do it".

You can find a "friendly" dealership here and there to still do it (for a cost) but, for the most part, you are on your own to incorporate the item into the digital universe of the truck.

AlfaOBD is very powerful so make sure you track your changes. Not only will this help you when you encounter issues but you also know what you need to change if the dealership every flashes your BCM. It will be with the programming the truck came with, not what you have modified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357