Factory 17s to factory 20s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dr_gant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT 4X4 Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, just picked up a used 2016 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.7. This is my first post and hoping you guys can give me a hand. I can't seem to find an answer. The truck came with the factory 17s, I picked up a set of the gloss black 20s that supposedly came off a 2014. When I put them on everything was great for a few miles, then the tpms light started to flash and a message saying "service tire pressure monitoring system". I had read that 2014 and newer wheels will automatically be learned by the truck and should have no issues. I've probably done 60 miles since and no change. Light still on and message still there. Anyone know how to reset this or if I need to hit the dealership? The wheels look great so if I have to drive with the light on it's worth it, but if it's a simple quick fix then I'd love to know!

OP
OP
D

dr_gant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT 4X4 Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I assumed they had the original sensors because they have the original tires still mounted.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum Sir from Bristol Tn.

Could be no TPMS sensors installed , how many miles did you drive on the blk 20s with tire pressures being properly displayed and no messages?

I thought 13 + tmps sensors were the same p/n ? Not certin .

Fwiw on my 14 Ram my tpms starting reading off intermittently then I had an RF Module update at the dealer and it was all good .

You by chance didn't recently upgrade your instrument cluster did you ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dr_gant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT 4X4 Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum Sir from Bristol Tn.

Could be no TPMS sensors installed , how many miles did you drive on the blk 20s with tire pressures being properly displayed and no messages?

I thought 13 + tmps sensors were the same p/n ? Not certin .

Fwiw on my 14 Ram my tpms starting reading off intermittently then I had an RF Module update at the dealer and it was all good .

You by chance didn't recently upgrade your instrument cluster did you ?

I probably made it 7-8 miles before the message popped up. And no I haven't updated anything. I've had the truck for 4 days and all Ive done was bolt on the new wheels.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep , I'd verify the 20s have the sensors as jaycabral27 mentioned above .

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought brand new oem take off 20s off a classified site that were never used. Guy wasn't sure if they had tpms. Dealer actually took them out and mounted them in his new tires. So when I installed on my truck obviously the alarm came up. Took my 17s to dealer and had them swap tpms out. 130$ to do so. Not horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dr_gant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT 4X4 Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought brand new oem take off 20s off a classified site that were never used. Guy wasn't sure if they had tpms. Dealer actually took them out and mounted them in his new tires. So when I installed on my truck obviously the alarm came up. Took my 17s to dealer and had them swap tpms out. 130$ to do so. Not horrible.

That is the exact scenario as me. Thanks!

jaycabral27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem. Good luck. Call a few dealers. Some quoted me 400$ to swap tpms over so shop around.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^ What the heck were they smoking ? Unless that included new sensors for life, plus tire rotations. Glad to see that you ran as far as possible away from that. :)

F.O.F

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any reputable tire shop can do this for a reasonable price. Likely south of $100 with balancing .

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm also having tpms issues since I had new wheels/tires installed. DT sold me new sensors but in nearly 300 miles the truck still doesn't read them even though their scanner shows the tpms sensors are working. They are going to order some from a Ram dealer to install for me. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Marcus Bancroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the TPMS go out on my 17s and luckily I found a set of stock 20 in Rims for sale with the TPMS and half decent tires, so I swapped them over.

At my tire shop they have a tool they hold against each rim and it detects if there is a TPMS installed and if it is working. after driving approx 6 miles the truck detected the TPMs and everything has been perfect ever since. You could have the tire shop remove the TPMs from your old rims and install these on the new ones.

OOXK3184.JPG

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Before going to a dealer, I'd recommend going to a local tire shop. They should have a tool that can read the signal from each of the wheels. This will let you know if you simply have a bad sensor(s) or whether there are none installed. Also, a "quirk" about these trucks - if you put on a new set of wheels with sensors and one (or more) of them is not operational, the truck will not "learn" any of them. All four sensors must be operational for the learning process to occur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank