Factory Order - My Full Experience & Timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know factory orders are a topic of frequent discussion on the forum. I decided to document my experience for any considering going that route. I'll start with the timeline, which seems to be the biggest question for most, then dig into the truck and other details.

Timeline: 10 Weeks and 4 Days from Order to Delivery
3/29/21 - Placed Initial Order w/ Dealer
4/12/21 - Received email from FCA Customer Care confirming order, giving me a VIN, and giving an estimated delivery date of the week of 6/4/21.
5/5/21 - Truck built. I had been using the FCA Equipment Listing Search Tool everyday. When the truck is built, the full equipment listing pops up on that site.
5/7/21 - Dealer update that truck was in the 'body shop' to be painted and should ship within a week.
5/20/21 - Dealer update saying truck was on a railcar headed across the country.
5/28/21 - Dealer update saying truck was scheduled to arrive in Baltimore on 6/8. Expect arrival at the dealer (in Harrisburg, PA) the following week.
6/9/21 - Call that truck had arrived at dealership!
6/11/21 - Took delivery of the truck! 74 Days after my initial order. 10 weeks and 4 days of much anticipation.

The Truck: 2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Hemi. Bright White Paint and Night Edition. 4.10 Axle Ratio, Tech Package, Protection Group, Bed Utility Group, Level B Equipment Group, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, Power Sunroof, Cab-Length Side Steps, Rear Wheelhouse Liners, Mopar Rubber Floor Mats.

More Details and Why We Factory Ordered: We purchased a camper in the summer of 2020. We parked it at a campground and have been able to utilize it, but we want to actually travel with it. To do so safely, we needed a truck upgrade. We had driven a Ford F250, checked out a Chevy, but ultimately settled on a Ram 2500. At this point, the manufacturers are all pretty close in capability, but the Ram felt like the most luxury and technology for the price. We briefly considered buying used. But with the shortages and delays in the industry today, used trucks are at an all time premium. We we're finding that it wasn't too much more expensive to just buy new than to buy a used truck in good condition that suited our needs. We just needed the patience to find the right truck or wait out an order.

There is virtually no new inventory in our area. When we went to test drive a 2021 model, the dealer only had one 2500 on the lot. There were several 'on order' or 'in transit', but only one on the lot. That particular truck was a Cummins. And while we loved the truck, we didn't need the diesel or the extra cost that comes with it. I had already spec'd out a truck online and knew exactly what we wanted. The dealer searched inventory within about a 250 mile radius for a truck matching what we were looking for, but no luck. At that point, we made the final decision to factory order. It was a fairly simple process, we we're able to get exactly what we wanted, and we we're still able to negotiate on price.

At the time of order, the dealer set an expectation of 8 to 10 weeks until delivery. I was a bit skeptical of that timeframe and was prepared to wait longer. Ultimately, that ended up being pretty accurate at 10 weeks and 4 days. I was pleased with the experience and the dealer. I would recommend the factory order process to somebody that has specific requirements for their truck.

Finally, for what it's worth, I've averaged 15.0 MPG over the first 600 miles with the truck. That's a combination of highway and 'around town' driving. No towing yet.

I'll try to answer any questions that might pop up on this thread. Thanks!IMG_4421[8325].jpgIMG_4423[8327].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice looking rig. Don't expect to keep that 15 mpg when towing... pray for 10, settle for 9. Carry your favorite fuel credit card at all times....:birgits_tiredcoffee
Make sure you post those pictures on the towing section to show off the rig to all us rolling campers!

Vipersean25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ordered may 5 and came in 6/21 only 6.5 weeks alot quiker than i thought it would be

Attachments

• 094CBD49-60FD-4CD2-B038-0C78138DEC41.jpeg
    094CBD49-60FD-4CD2-B038-0C78138DEC41.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 934B5AD1-5DB4-43CF-8A5E-B67BFF673D57.jpeg
    934B5AD1-5DB4-43CF-8A5E-B67BFF673D57.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 59

techfan42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You both did better than me. I ordered mine on 3/27 and it came in late yesterday, picking it up today. Twelve weeks and five days.

rjpoog1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Funny, you ordered after me and picked up before me. Similar builds. I’m loving mine so far! Only 200 miles on it, need to put another 300 on before I tow my camper Thursday.

Al-N-AK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7HO
interesting, I ordered my 3500 approx. 15th of April and delivery dates was supposed to be 1st of August, and the truck showed up June 20th. We had a family road trip planned; well, had to cancel that, get leave (military) get tickets for just the adults, board my dog and **** my kids off on grand parents. We fly out Tuesday to get the truck, I had prior deployment commitments I was able to go on leave for a few days. We are picking up the truck in ID from Dave Smith (great dealership), and driving to TN. We ended up saving enough $$ to get the 6.7 High Output, bcs of the savings. I couldn't find a better deal anywhere in the east, and they were able to order exactly what I needed. Dave Smith is a premier dealer and they do invoice pricing plus their fees. They also have an accessory shop at the dealership and can install anything you want...

*I did some research on the faster delivery date and found out that RAM had gone to a 24hr production cycle and was able to produce vehicles twice as fast (not sure that is a good thing). And if you go to a premier dealer the order can be processed more quickly.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Wanted to replace my 1996 Dodge 2500, club cab, V10, long box. Still in great shape but getting older. Ordered a 2500 Laramie crew cab 8' box, 6.4 gas, SRW, in bright red with most of the options. Ordered mine March 31, Vin issued 3 weeks later, build sheet came on line and confirmed build June 26th. Built in Mexico so delivery will be another 2-3 weeks to get to Canada. Dealer had said it could take up to 5 months so I am actually very happy it happened this fast.

I odered the taller gears as I rarely pull anything real heavy but could not get an 8" box in a half tom. Hoping the taller gears will give me an extra couple of MPG though gas mileage isn't a major consideration. The V10 I have now I have owned since new, it does about 15 mpg highway 10-12 in town or on back roads.

Mtnbikes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice truck!! I’m starting the process of ordering a Rebel. I’m waiting to negotiate the price prior to my down payment. We’re you able to negotiate a good price?

Horsepuller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hmmm.. I ordered mine 3/31. All i know is that it is in a D1 status. And that is where it has been, for two + weeks. That is the answer from the dealer and Customer Care. I want to say I was assigned a VIN in mid April, with an anticipated delivery date of the week of 6/9/21. i'm wondering if someone fat-fingered the letter and they meant the week of 9/6?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
HorsePuller, what series did you order, Light or Heavy Duty
If it is coming out Mexico & going to Idaho, it could easily take 12 weeks

If it is being built in Sterling Heights, which is where they make the Ram 1500 New Style ( 5th Gen )
They are just about ready to stop building the 2021 Ram 5th Gen.
In mid August, they begin building the 2022 Ram new body style

There will be several restrictions on the 2022 Rams, most restrictions will be because of the Transponder Chip Shortage

Last edited:

Hawkeye1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
After 11 weeks and one day from order and 9 weeks and 4 days since I got a VIN my truck is finally built. I ordered a 2021 Limited Longhorn 3500. Let's see how long it takes to get to the dealer.

MarkCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HorsePuller, what series did you order, Light or Heavy Duty
If it is coming out Mexico & going to Idaho, it could easily take 12 weeks

If it is being built in Sterling Heights, which is where they make the Ram 1500 New Style ( 5th Gen )
They are just about ready to stop building the 2021 Ram 5th Gen.
In mid August, they begin building the 2022 Ram new body style

There will be several restrictions on the 2022 Rams, most restrictions will be because of the Transponder Chip Shortage
I currently have a 2019 Rebel and just placed an order July first for a 2022 Rebel. A week later I received the VIN. Are you saying that since it is a 2022 nothing will happen until mid-August?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is not written in Granite anywhere

Individual Factory Orders have a different time line than when someone orders 10 or more of the same exact vehicle, They are called Fleet Orders when they order several at a time

Fleet Ordering:

2022 RAM 1500(DT)(New Body Style)
Orders accepted on 6/14/2021
Production Begins 8/25/2021

2022 Ram 1500(DS) Quad and Crew Cab (old body style)
Orders accepted on 9/3/2021
Production Begins 11/1/2021

dates found on this website

On this site, look at Build Out / Final Order / Chrysler / Light Truck

Last edited:

mxsnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 BR V10,2005 DR Hemi,2015 DS Outdoorsman Hemi,2019 Bighorn Hemi.
Engine
hemi 5.7
DS and DT subject to change like the HD trucks were.

SnowboardDEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi w/ e-Torque
Hey all, like many of you, I’m in the same boat. Factory ordered a Ram Rebel crew cab in mid September. I checked with the dealership in late September and it was in D1 status (all parts available, waiting on build). Needless to say, I can’t wait for it to get delivered. I’ve been without a truck for several months now and I miss the capabilities of them…and excited about all the interior features available in the Ram.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
D1 means " Gateway "

That means your Ram has been given a Date & Time for the build to begin

It usually takes about 16 hours to build a Ram

Then the truck is sent to the place where they outfit it, that is also called Upfitting. That is where they install, running boards, spray bedliners, install tow hooks, tow hitches,

Start checking this site, every once in a while

Last edited:
OP
OP
MMiller

MMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice truck!! I’m starting the process of ordering a Rebel. I’m waiting to negotiate the price prior to my down payment. We’re you able to negotiate a good price?
Sorry, I just saw your message. If you're still in the process, yes, I was able to negotiate a price prior to placing my order/down payment. As usual, it took some time to negotiate and a lot of back and forth with the dealer. But I had a price in mind below MSRP that I was expecting to pay based on my build and prior research. We we're ultimately able to get down to that price.

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the info. Faster than I would have expected. Nice looking truck! Really like the white with black out.

OP
OP
MMiller

MMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info. Faster than I would have expected. Nice looking truck! Really like the white with black out.
Thanks! I like the all black look like yours, but the last time I had a black car, it was so hard to keep clean! Plus our camper is mostly white with black accents, so we figured it tied together well. The truck and trailer look great together going down the road.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nice truck! If you can be patient enough that is the way to go! You spend this much on a vehicle you should be able to get exactly what you want. I have ordered about half of my vehicles over the years.