Factory window tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
So I have a 2014 1500 RC and i'm trying to get the windows tinted on it. The shop wants $135 to tint but they also want $60 to remove any tint I have on already. I looked at the back window but can't find any lines where the tint would start. My question, is the window just a pre smoked glass or is there actually tint on it? I refuse to pay $60 to do a job I can do in an hour... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Im pretty sure the factory tint cannot be removed as the glass itself is colored as oppose to film glued on it.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Did you buy your truck used or new? If they are saying that they have to remove the tint on the back window then they don't know what they are doing. You cannot remove factory privacy tint, it's (in the glass). Even your clear side windows have a small amount of tint in them. They are just trying to get money out of you and if they were to actually try to remove it they would damage your glass if they scraped on it.

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Did you buy your truck used or new? If they are saying that they have to remove the tint on the back window then they don't know what they are doing. You cannot remove factory privacy tint, it's (in the glass). Even your clear side windows have a small amount of tint in them. They are just trying to get money out of you and if they were to actually try to remove it they would damage your glass if they scraped on it.

I got the truck brand new off the lot. This quote all came via the phone, I assumed when I was chatting with them that the factory tint was just a laminate. The shop just said if they had to remove any that's what they charge. Ill keep in mind that the glass has it in between so they wont charge me any bogus fees. Thanks for the help

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
He's probably telling You IF their is any tint, that $60.00 would be the charge. You would be surprised how many people call to get a quote and don't tell the installer that they already have old crusty film on the car. He's just covering his bases.

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
He's probably telling You IF their is any tint, that $60.00 would be the charge. You would be surprised how many people call to get a quote and don't tell the installer that they already have old crusty film on the car. He's just covering his bases.

I believe this was the case. He just said if it has tint than it'll cost 60. I wasn't aware the factory glass was pre darkened when I was on the phone.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Factory privacy, if you add dark to rear, its REALLY dark...like hard to see dark.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Well I got a back up camera.... :roflsquared:

True, but I mean so dark you cant see if that's a cop on your tail...unless you slam into reverse on highway :D

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
True, but I mean so dark you cant see if that's a cop on your tail...unless you slam into reverse on highway :D

lol don't want to have to do that. I'd like the privacy and shade in my truck. I wanted to put 15% on the front two and the strip. What would i have to put on the back just to be blacked out? Right now i'd say it looks 30-35%

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Lmao Graygoose, talk about demolishing the tranny on that one. I agree with you though, tint on top of the privacy glass is pretty dark no matter how light you go. The key to it though is don't do anything where you would have to worry about the po-po gettin' you.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who needs rear visibility? What's behind you doesn't matter :naughty:

You and I think alike!! [emoji1] I've had 5% over the factory privacy on my last 2 trucks. It's very dark at night but I still love it!!

The way I look at it is that's why they made power windows, rear sliders, and now LED reverse lights!! Haha

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You and I think alike!! [emoji1] I've had 5% over the factory privacy on my last 2 trucks. It's very dark at night but I still love it!!

The way I look at it is that's why they made power windows, rear sliders, and now LED reverse lights!! Haha

I'll probably be putting tint over my rear windows whenever I get my truck in to get a windshield brow, I already have to roll down my windows half the time at night with 20% on the fronts, might as well go all out.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you really wanna go "all out" 5% that thing front to back!! Haha that's what I've done several times and won't go back!!

My 98
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437531899.330840.jpg

My old 06
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437531933.241368.jpg

My current winter beater/daily. (Even added 5% to the sunroof a couple weeks ago)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437532097.039414.jpg

OP
OP
iceyivy

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
If you really wanna go "all out" 5% that thing front to back!! Haha that's what I've done several times and won't go back!!

My 98
View attachment 54617

My old 06
View attachment 54618

My current winter beater/daily. (Even added 5% to the sunroof a couple weeks ago)
View attachment 54619

I was debating between 20 and 15 percent.... now that you've showed these i'm debating between 15 and 10, what a predicament. If I'm gonna get a ticket might as well go all out.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

My 98
View attachment 54617

My old 06
View attachment 54618

View attachment 54619

I would, but around here I'd have it for all of 10 minutes before a cop would be making me peel it on the side of the road :flipthebird: I'm already riding dirty as far as the cops around here care between my tint, lights and tires :naughty:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Went in yesterday and the 6" strip on windshield since dealer didn't do that. Guy said even a light tint over the privacy glass would darken it up, but not to the 5%, unless I really wanted it that dark.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Meh... just tint to match the rear factory tint and you'll be good. It's in the range of 15%-20%. I believe my installer used 15% on the front windows.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Meh... just tint to match the rear factory tint and you'll be good. It's in the range of 15%-20%. I believe my installer used 15% on the front windows.

Factory privacy glass is closest to 18%, I have 20% on the fronts and you can't tell the difference.