Favorite 20" tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram 1500 has new 20" wheels to replace the 17" stockers, but looking for some advice on good value 20" tires to put on it. I will be lowering this truck eventually (2/4), but one step at a time so that will be later. TIA!

OP
OP
fljab

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see this didn't get any action and I'm sure it's been asked many times before, so maybe some of you are weary. No problems -

Doing my own research, it looks like the Goodyear T/As are the most cost effective. Most of the tires in this category are on/off road profiles; I'm strictly an on road use, and I don't live where there's snow. I saw another post about going to a 285/60R20 (vs stock 275/60R20), but those start out at ~$300 tire vs ~$150/tire for the Goodyears in stock size, so no go there.

Between the wheels I bought ($500 shipped), tires (~$500+), TPM sensors (~$60/set of 4 Amazon p/n 68249197AA), mounting (~$40?), and having the dealer correct speedo ($? - still on warranty, so no screwing around with that one), I'll easily have $1200 into this. I've not been in a hurry as I know the stock 17" wheels and tires aren't worth that much on the used market, so am getting my use out of them. I have ~12K miles on the truck now.

I need to start gathering lowering parts as well, which will be another $1000+ by the time I get everything, plus if I have it installed, whatever that costs. I can see wheels, tires, and lowering going to $3K or so to do it right, but could save some by doing some of the work myself.

I was hoping someone had a good tip on a good wearing and driving tire that is economical, but that's OK, maybe no one has a better option than the stock T/As.

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to see no one has provided any feedback on your thread. I have been watching it and waiting for a response as well.

I only have 9k on the truck truck right now and won't be buying anytime soon, but I love looking at my options.

I hate the sidewalls on the Goodyear SRA tires, they are a PITA to dress...

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I see this didn't get any action and I'm sure it's been asked many times before, so maybe some of you are weary. No problems -

Doing my own research, it looks like the Goodyear T/As are the most cost effective. Most of the tires in this category are on/off road profiles; I'm strictly an on road use, and I don't live where there's snow. I saw another post about going to a 285/60R20 (vs stock 275/60R20), but those start out at ~$300 tire vs ~$150/tire for the Goodyears in stock size, so no go there.

Between the wheels I bought ($500 shipped), tires (~$500+), TPM sensors (~$60/set of 4 Amazon p/n 68249197AA), mounting (~$40?), and having the dealer correct speedo ($? - still on warranty, so no screwing around with that one), I'll easily have $1200 into this. I've not been in a hurry as I know the stock 17" wheels and tires aren't worth that much on the used market, so am getting my use out of them. I have ~12K miles on the truck now.

I need to start gathering lowering parts as well, which will be another $1000+ by the time I get everything, plus if I have it installed, whatever that costs. I can see wheels, tires, and lowering going to $3K or so to do it right, but could save some by doing some of the work myself.

I was hoping someone had a good tip on a good wearing and driving tire that is economical, but that's OK, maybe no one has a better option than the stock T/As.

The biggest thing I've learned is to match the right sized tire to the wheel. If your wheel is something like 12" wide and you put a narrow tire it, it is going to wear out much faster regardless of the brand.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
NTB forgot to order me some stockers so they put on Cooper Discoverer RTX without my knowledge. I was surprised to see all terrains on my truck but I think they look ok. Braking and accleration in the dry is not bad but they are pretty sketchy in the rain. Houston has some oily roads though. I just put some General Grabbers on the 4Runner and my wife loves them. A lot cheaper than Michelins and they seem to be quieter and have less rolling/turning resistance than the LTX that dry rotted all to hell. Good traction and braking in the rain. Made in the USA too.

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I went with the Falken whildpeak H/T which ride very well and have worn really well. 22k Miles on them and found them on tire buyer for the 135 each range.

If I were going to do another set I would seriously look at the Falken wildpeak A/T3W and get a more aggressive looking tire. It ranges 175 each and has been mentioned throughout the forum.

Not much snow here in the mo area so can’t testify to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Me too!!!!! can't wait to change tire & wheel!

They are a little more trouble but they do pop when you hit them with a little satin black.

20180724_145810_001.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess it depends on what style of tire your looking for. If your in Fld. I would think there is no need for an AT tire except for looks unless you drive on the beach a lot. Just for highway driving, what I would recommend is a Michelin. They last a long time however they aren't very cheap. They are also really good in wet weather which I assume you get lots of during the spring and summer.
Jay

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
NTB forgot to order me some stockers so they put on Cooper Discoverer RTX without my knowledge. I was surprised to see all terrains on my truck but I think they look ok. Braking and accleration in the dry is not bad but they are pretty sketchy in the rain. Houston has some oily roads though. I just put some General Grabbers on the 4Runner and my wife loves them. A lot cheaper than Michelins and they seem to be quieter and have less rolling/turning resistance than the LTX that dry rotted all to hell. Good traction and braking in the rain. Made in the USA too.
You got any pics of your truck with the Coopers on it? Would be interested in seeing it.

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my Goodyear's at 2,500 miles with the Nitto Grappler G2's, very happy with them.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You got any pics of your truck with the Coopers on it? Would be interested in seeing it.

Nothing special, best pics I could get while parked.

CoopersB.jpg

CoopersC.jpg

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
If I were going to do another set I would seriously look at the Falken wildpeak A/T3W and get a more aggressive looking tire. It ranges 175 each and has been mentioned throughout the forum.

that price is certainly not on an oversized tire. those run over $250 a tire, and closer to $300 a tire.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Which Michelins do you recommend? I will be doing 99% highway driving with some light towing/hauling mixed in. I get a tire allowance with my job so price isn't an issue.

I guess it depends on what style of tire your looking for. If your in Fld. I would think there is no need for an AT tire except for looks unless you drive on the beach a lot. Just for highway driving, what I would recommend is a Michelin. They last a long time however they aren't very cheap. They are also really good in wet weather which I assume you get lots of during the spring and summer.
Jay

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might look at the Defender series. I have the AT2's on my truck cause we sometimes go to the beach and then make trips to Colo and have the chance to get caught in snow. Have had the same style on all 3 of my 4th Gen's and will buy them again. Get about 60k out of them if balanced and rotated regularly. Lost about 1 to 1 1/2 mile per gallon however that might have been a combination of tires and leveling the truck.
Jay

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Which Michelins do you recommend? I will be doing 99% highway driving with some light towing/hauling mixed in. I get a tire allowance with my job so price isn't an issue.

These were the Michelin LTX M/S2's on my wife's 4Runner after only 4 years and 40k miles. Never again. I spent $1k on these damn things. I only put Meguiars endurance tire dressing on them a few times. I was told by Discount that it's normal to spiderweb like that and it's completely safe. What a joke.

20180605_171354.jpg

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So who are you blaming? Michelin or Discount Tire?

These were the Michelin LTX M/S2's on my wife's 4Runner after only 4 years and 40k miles. Never again. I spent $1k on these damn things. I only put Meguiars endurance tire dressing on them a few times. I was told by Discount that it's normal to spiderweb like that and it's completely safe. What a joke.

20180605_171354.jpg