filter change Mileage or DIC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
For my 2018 Ram 2500 CTD, OEM manual has a mileage maintenance schedule. Yet the DIC shows a filter life. Who changes by mileage or by DIC or in middle?

Fuel filter shows 64% life left, yet I'm pulling up on 143xx miles. At the rate of DIC I've got another 10k miles left. Yes I do know the DIC is an algorithm. I also know when I had my Ram 1500, I would check the oil quality at Blackstone. Found out the 5k miles was way too soon, I eventually pushed up toward 8-10k miles off what the life of the oil was at last oil change. I sold off at 105k miles so I don't have long term data. Seems nobody tests fuel filters, or none that i have found. Watched some vids of fuel filter changes, and the front, which is a micron filter, appears clean by visual. Not that micron particles can be seen with ***** eye, but build up might. At $100+ for filters, little more life would be nice if possible.

any experience out there at pushing a the filter past 15k miles?

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
As a general rule, I change fuel filters before winter weather. Oil change by mileage or time, whichever occurs first. At least once a year.

jacob302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a RAM 5500 with 6.7 Cummins. After 350 miles, fuel filter life is reported at 96%. If I extrapolate linearly, I will be at zero when I reach 8750 miles. What should I do if I have zero life at around 9k ? Should I just change the first filter as it is easier and leave the second one in place and reset the life meter ? Or should I change both or nothing and wait till 15K as the manual says ? Is linear extrapolation not a good assumption ? I have no plans to go past 15K in any case as the risk is too high.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I still use mileage. How many? That’s up to the owner. Never was one to use some percentage formula derived by someone using inputs that I have no idea of.

Me? I observe a few recommendations : the manual, repair shops, forums, recent driving conditions, etc to get a ballpark.
YMMV. If you are not the only driver, or tight on time, whatever, leave some room for going over the number you come up with and still feel like you are on schedule.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
For my 2018 Ram 2500 CTD, OEM manual has a mileage maintenance schedule. Yet the DIC shows a filter life. Who changes by mileage or by DIC or in middle?

Fuel filter shows 64% life left, yet I'm pulling up on 143xx miles. At the rate of DIC I've got another 10k miles left. Yes I do know the DIC is an algorithm. I also know when I had my Ram 1500, I would check the oil quality at Blackstone. Found out the 5k miles was way too soon, I eventually pushed up toward 8-10k miles off what the life of the oil was at last oil change. I sold off at 105k miles so I don't have long term data. Seems nobody tests fuel filters, or none that i have found. Watched some vids of fuel filter changes, and the front, which is a micron filter, appears clean by visual. Not that micron particles can be seen with ***** eye, but build up might. At $100+ for filters, little more life would be nice if possible.

any experience out there at pushing a the filter past 15k miles?
You've got a $50-60K truck and and you're quibbling about $100 worth of fuel filters?
I just replace them at the recommended 15k miles and call it good. My truck doesn't get driven that much so I've only put about 30,000 miles in 3 years on my 6.7 and have had zero problems.

OP
OP
jvbuttex

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
thanks for all the input.