Filthy from shipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Purchased a new 2022 classic from a local dealership in December. First thing I noticed was how dirty the exterior and undercarriage were. Looked like someone went mud riding. So I took the truck home for its first good bath. After drying, noticed tinny brown specs all over horizontal sections of the hood and roof. Soap and rag would not remove them. Thank goodness claybaring worked. Find it odd how dirty a new truck could be from shipping. Especially the undercarriage.

Has anyone else had this issue?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Did you factory order it, or did you buy it from the dealers inventory ?

Either way, the dealers usually have a contract with a detailing company.
They detail the vehicles as soon as the vehicle is off loaded from the trucking company that pick up the vehicles at the railroad storage facility & deliver the vehicle to the dealerships.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like it was rail dust from when it was transported by train. Sounds like it's fairly common from complaints I've read in different forums over the years.

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree with @GTyankee, your dealer should've detailed the truck inside and out...every truck I've purchased as a custom order or off the lot has been cleaned/detailed prior to delivery without me even asking for it.

Did you bother complaining to your sales guy about the condition to see if they would do the right thing?

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you factory order it, or did you buy it from the dealers inventory ?

Either way, the dealers usually have a contract with a detailing company.
They detail the vehicles as soon as the vehicle is off loaded from the trucking company that pick up the vehicles at the railroad storage facility & deliver the vehicle to the dealerships.
I did not factory order but test drove it right off the transport. Dirty but did not think much of it. Dirt was hiding the dots. Was a Monday. Later they detailed and posted it online. Went back on a Friday to finalize the deal. It was my fault for missing the imperfections at pickup so decided to do the detailing myself, the correct way. Obviously they missed it the first time, why take a chance on a $7 hour guy using a buffing compound.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Mine -bought from dealer inventory- was clean topside but had clay and sand deposits in places underneath making it clear someone took a muddy joyride. I ******* to them about it the next day; of course they denied it. Said it was from parking on their grass lot.

I’ve put plenty of mud in the crevices of vehicles in my life and I know the difference.

NBD for me in the big picture because it’s going to get a lot more every summer it lives with me. I was just irritated having to clean it below so I could install accessories on a brand new truck.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its just part of it. I love the its a brand new car so it doesn't have any scratches lol. Tesla is the worst. I had a brand new bright Silverado that I did, and wow it was so bad. I had about 8 hours in just cutting the scratches out with a Rupes 21" and a meguiars red microfiber cutting pad with 105. In the end it turned out amazing, but just because its new doesn't mean anything. I have seen it all.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Its just part of it. I love the its a brand new car so it doesn't have any scratches lol. Tesla is the worst. I had a brand new bright Silverado that I did, and wow it was so bad. I had about 8 hours in just cutting the scratches out with a Rupes 21" and a meguiars red microfiber cutting pad with 105. In the end it turned out amazing, but just because its new doesn't mean anything. I have seen it all.
Both my new 2022 4 runner and 2022 ram classic were delivered terribly. The 4 runner was so scratched I thought it was scrubbed with a old dirty push broom, the ram had some scratches and swirling but the glass was filthy as well and paint had rubber squeegee marks on it as well!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
first time that i saw My factory ordered ugly colored Ram
I knew right there & then, i knew that i was going to have it repainted & change out the bumpers, get rid of every emblem & decal

OpPCu9.jpg

I had wanted to factory order these bumpers, but because it is an Eco-diesel, they were not available
sazyVo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2500 came from the factory perfect in 2016. Easy clean and wax. Granite crystal as well. Very similar to the old chevy dark gray metallic if any of you chevy guys remember. This white one, yikes. So far this white ram has been a b***h to clean. Especially the painted front fascia. Any tricks?

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heading to boot camp, the Navy put me up in a hotel next to the rail yard where all the new vehicles were unloaded. They rolled those shiny new cars and trucks off the rail cars and proceeded to beat the fool out of them. Drifting, wide open throttle, and a smoking fast stop. If the worst thing you got after the train ride was some dirt you should feel great. And you wonder why some are lemons.

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heading to boot camp, the Navy put me up in a hotel next to the rail yard where all the new vehicles were unloaded. They rolled those shiny new cars and trucks off the rail cars and proceeded to beat the fool out of them. Drifting, wide open throttle, and a smoking fast stop. If the worst thing you got after the train ride was some dirt you should feel great. And you wonder why some are lemons.
Funny you mentioned that. I work for a company who in 2020 upgraded a shipping yard for vehicle transport from overseas. Most of the vehicles were fca compact suvs. No Tom fullury but the vehicles came in terrible shape. Rust, mud, you name it. Shipping process did a number.

thesamestranger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thing you could clean it up. When I used Car Shipping, everything was fine, the car arrived in excellent condition and quite quickly. I am 100% satisfied with this purchase. I hope everything will be the same with the next car

Last edited:

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They make iron/contaminent remover products for just this situation. Most dealerships will just buff a new car which should take most of the paint contaminants off. Clay bar would likely take care of it as well. Dealership detailers vary highly in their skill level. I personally prefer not to have my new cars detailed by the dealer because I am just going to do it again myself.