Finally have the dreaded broken exhaust manifold bolt....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
And rather than fight with OEM manifolds, etc, looking at changing to a set of short tubes. Any recommendations, advice, or point me to some good threads would be nice. Thanks in advance.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
And rather than fight with OEM manifolds, etc, looking at changing to a set of short tubes. Any recommendations, advice, or point me to some good threads would be nice. Thanks in advance.

My advise upgrade to longtubes if your state and local laws allow it.

Hemi Lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder if replacing the stock gaskets with a set of Remflex gaskets would help with the stock manifolds propensity to break the bolts. There's a few guys running the 6022 Remflex gaskets on our headers and so far,i've never heard of a set leaking,and i'd think their ability to expand and contract slightly might be an advantage even with the stock manifolds,plus the fact they only require 20 lb-ft of torque,with no retorquing required after install,should make life easier on the bolts

http://catalog.remflex.com/

These are the gaskets for the 5.7's

https://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/6022.htm

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wonder if replacing the stock gaskets with a set of Remflex gaskets would help with the stock manifolds propensity to break the bolts. There's a few guys running the 6022 Remflex gaskets on our headers and so far,i've never heard of a set leaking,and i'd think their ability to expand and contract slightly might be an advantage even with the stock manifolds,plus the fact they only require 20 lb-ft of torque,with no retorquing required after install,should make life easier on the bolts

http://catalog.remflex.com/

These are the gaskets for the 5.7's

https://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/6022.htm

That might help a little for someone that's a stickler for stock parts, but I'm pretty sure there would still be some bolt snapping unless a better fastener was used with planed manifolds. I'd say based on what I've seen/heard from others they're as bad or worse than the Ford 5.4L Triton logs that would also snap bolts, but at-least our Hemi's don't spit out plugs. I will have to keep the Ramflex gaskets in mind when I eventually do headers so thanks for the suggestion.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That might help a little for someone that's a stickler for stock parts, but I'm pretty sure there would still be some bolt snapping unless a better fastener was used with planed manifolds. I'd say based on what I've seen/heard from others they're as bad or worse than the Ford 5.4L Triton logs that would also snap bolts, but at-least our Hemi's don't spit out plugs. I will have to keep the Ramflex gaskets in mind when I eventually do headers so thanks for the suggestion.

Cast iron manifolds have been the bane of manifolds for many many years,lol. The old FE Fords were famous for cracking the manifolds if you drove through a puddle of water,way back in the 60's,so it's not a new problem,or specific to the Rams,lol. I've always wondered if the Remflex gaskets might help with the stock manifolds as they have a little more give and take as far as expansion and contraction go,compared to the factories multi-layered steel gasket.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cast iron manifolds have been the bane of manifolds for many many years,lol. The old FE Fords were famous for cracking the manifolds if you drove through a puddle of water,way back in the 60's,so it's not a new problem,or specific to the Rams,lol. I've always wondered if the Remflex gaskets might help with the stock manifolds as they have a little more give and take as far as expansion and contraction go,compared to the factories multi-layered steel gasket.

Yup always hated cast logs and would gladly pay more if I could avoid them from the factory. If the SRT shorties off the 6.4 were an easier fit on the trucks like you can do with a 5.7 Challenger I would already have Kooks on my Challenger and have recycled those SRT shorties onto my Ram. Since they're not I'm still deciding on either just doing the JBA shorty swap or bothering with LT's, but as my truck is really just a daily, occasionally tow, and some mild off-roading I'm heavily leaning towards just doing the JBA's.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m in California so did JBA shorties for smog. Still a great upgrade. :)

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
sbarron

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Out of curiosity, how many miles are on your truck?

~75,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you have 3100+ posts and know nothing about Headers?

SO you're an expert on all thing RAM based on post count? I've just never explored very deeply any of the performance threads. Didn't interest me. Still doesn't to be honest, 400 is enough for me. The only reason I'm asking now is if I need to go through all the trouble of R&R an exhaust manifold, I 1) don't want to have the same issue again, 2) might as well get some performance gains for the money i'd spend anyway. I'd be just as happy with the cast manifold if it had never failed.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Besides the annoying sound of a broken manifold bolt is there anything detrimental to the longevity of the engine by not replacing them?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Besides the annoying sound of a broken manifold bolt is there anything detrimental to the longevity of the engine by not replacing them?

A broken bolt weakens the rest and the mike broken the more chances of exhaust leaks. Those cause your Truck to run rich which fouls plugs and could cause injector issues.

Everything is connected somehow, so it is best to get it fixed. Lots of little issues cause engine failure just like 1 big one. Just not as fast.

[emoji106]

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PM Matt at Moe's. He can give you a comparison of the different shorties and the long tubes and give you the prices of each.
Jay

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stainless Works makes great headers if you want to go long tube. No bending the dipstick. Just got them for my truck. Could not be happier. Plus Nick @gotexhaust gave me a great deal. Personally I would have them ceramic coated like I did. It defiantly cuts down the under hood temps. However for the ease of install and cost. Ceramic coated shorties are great.

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
I have a question and maybe it would be better if it was asked of Nick at Gotexhast, but here goes.

The broken exhaust bolts and the comments made about the problem leads me to ask: What if springs were installed between the nut and the manifold? This would allow for some slight expansion movement but would continue to seal be it hot or cold. I have seen exhaust springs on many industrial engines along with marine applications.

Larry

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cost for one. Not enough trucks have the problem to warrant the extra cost in manufacturing. Plus on the industrial side parts are bigger and have room for springs big enough to do the job.