ARH 1 3/4" LT's w/cats installed - What a royal PITA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought these from Nick last spring and have been putting this off because I know it was going to suck...and boy did it - 20+ hours in the driveway later...I realized I should have paid someone to do it!

I had (1) known broken stud which is why I did headers, I went LT instead of shorty because I figured why not while I am there. I really think Kooks shorties would have been easier to install!

(2) additional bolts/studs snapped upon manifold removal, luckily I have a friend that is a welder who stopped by and got them out with ease.

Getting the 02 sensors unplugged sucked, my arms did not fit well, luckily my mechanic friend stopped by and was able to get them unplugged and the extensions hooked up.

My friend then started working on getting the dipstick out. Taking the (4) bolts out of the motor mount and jacking the motor up to get the lower bolt out...mother F#@%er! Got the bolt out...but the dip stick was seized in...got it moving, and almost out when the tip broke off. Got the tip out and had to wait till the next day to get a new tube (lucky one was in stock at a local dealer).

Got the shifter cable bracket installed and moved the brake lines on the inside frame rails up to the top hole to clear the drivers side header.

Put in the driver header and started on getting the dipstick tube bending process, this was one of the biggest PITA/time consuming things. I cut the lower bracket off because there is no way to put the bolt back in with the header on. I routed it between the rear 2 tubes and used the 2nd in from the top header bolt for the bracket, whew it fit...but the dipsstick is very tight and difficult to get in...Lokar is in my future!

Everything after went pretty smooth, no leaks found using the Remflex gaskets and ARH bolts.

BUT

I have a new problem, the CORSA is way too loud on cold start (40's/50's so far). Nascar loud cold starts are not cool for me now that I am older.

It's so loud that I am embarrassed and feel bad for my neighbors when I start it at 6:30am.

It does quiet right down within 20-30 seconds to just a bit louder than the stock manifolds/cats and it's acceptable. Driving, it is louder for sure, normal driving it is a bit louder than before but not bad. Punch it and it's raspy as can be and LOUD, no sir, I don't like it!

What I absolutely love about the Corsa is STILL NO DRONE!

It is actually quieter cruising at 60+ now.

OVERALL

No engine light, etc.. so far on the non-header JG tune, header tune will be installed this week.

I only have a few miles on the set up but there is noticeably more power, mainly low end torque. The truck lugs around a lot easier now and spins a lot easier in the rain.

The only way I can explain it is that the truck seems way smoother and relaxed. My intake actually sounds quieter as well under normal driving as well.

I have not really done any WOT run yet but have gotten on it, it's just so loud and raspy that I don't want to rip on it.

CONCLUSION

Am I happy...

Install sucked, big time!

Corsa is WAY TOO LOUD now, I need to change the cat back to something tamer.

But, the truck seems to run noticeably better now and I should never have to worry about another broken exhaust bolt/manifold ever again!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, some specialty jobs are best left to guys that do it for a living daily with all the special tools and infrastructure.

Unless you're a masochistic or skinflint!

Glad to see you got 'er done, thanks for report. You should pick up ~ +10% torque according to data curves I've seen.

For me, it was too much. I just threw in a tow tune and called it close enough. The tune definitely increased torque - seller claims it's EPA compliant, but who knows.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If your neighbors are close to you ask them to how it is from their point of view, maybe even stand over there and have someone start your truck. Anything to increase that flow is gonna be loud, and why you are enjoying all of that found power. Your trucks program to warm your Cats also creates noise, it might be you make the change but it is still loud. Do you still have old muffler? Good luck with it, yeah one of the things I always let someone else do is exhaust, mostly because generally price per pound works out. We have a great exhaust shop here that does everything on the cheap and quality. Upload a cold youtuibe? :)

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your neighbors are close to you ask them to how it is from their point of view, maybe even stand over there and have someone start your truck. Anything to increase that flow is gonna be loud, and why you are enjoying all of that found power. Your trucks program to warm your Cats also creates noise, it might be you make the change but it is still loud. Do you still have old muffler? Good luck with it, yeah one of the things I always let someone else do is exhaust, mostly because generally price per pound works out. We have a great exhaust shop here that does everything on the cheap and quality. Upload a cold youtuibe? :)

No mater what, even with the stock exhaust put back on (yes I still have it) cold start will be louder than stock for sure. I am ok with that as long as its not super loud/obnoxious.

10-15 years ago I would be fine with the noise...now that I am older it's too much.

Warm start, not bad at all, very livable.

This video is very close to what it sounds like (not mine), but the video does not do it justice on the actual volume (it's louder).

Dyno run, same truck - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smREsrKnZik

In cab highway pull, same truck - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM5sWFs8WGs

These videos are very close to what it sounds like in person. I am simply not a fan of the cherry bomb/crackle/raspy after the headers.

This is a video with the full ARH system including the cat back, I like this sound way more.

It's time for something a little more mellow/smoother over the corsa

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Takes 3 seconds to bend the dipstick out of the way. You dont even need to pull it.

IMG_20160826_135841.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I bought these from Nick last spring and have been putting this off because I know it was going to suck...and boy did it - 20+ hours in the driveway later...I realized I should have paid someone to do it!

I had (1) known broken stud which is why I did headers, I went LT instead of shorty because I figured why not while I am there. I really think Kooks shorties would have been easier to install!

(2) additional bolts/studs snapped upon manifold removal, luckily I have a friend that is a welder who stopped by and got them out with ease.

Getting the 02 sensors unplugged sucked, my arms did not fit well, luckily my mechanic friend stopped by and was able to get them unplugged and the extensions hooked up.

My friend then started working on getting the dipstick out. Taking the (4) bolts out of the motor mount and jacking the motor up to get the lower bolt out...mother F#@%er! Got the bolt out...but the dip stick was seized in...got it moving, and almost out when the tip broke off. Got the tip out and had to wait till the next day to get a new tube (lucky one was in stock at a local dealer).

Got the shifter cable bracket installed and moved the brake lines on the inside frame rails up to the top hole to clear the drivers side header.

Put in the driver header and started on getting the dipstick tube bending process, this was one of the biggest PITA/time consuming things. I cut the lower bracket off because there is no way to put the bolt back in with the header on. I routed it between the rear 2 tubes and used the 2nd in from the top header bolt for the bracket, whew it fit...but the dipsstick is very tight and difficult to get in...Lokar is in my future!

Everything after went pretty smooth, no leaks found using the Remflex gaskets and ARH bolts.

BUT

I have a new problem, the CORSA is way too loud on cold start (40's/50's so far). Nascar loud cold starts are not cool for me now that I am older.

It's so loud that I am embarrassed and feel bad for my neighbors when I start it at 6:30am.

It does quiet right down within 20-30 seconds to just a bit louder than the stock manifolds/cats and it's acceptable. Driving, it is louder for sure, normal driving it is a bit louder than before but not bad. Punch it and it's raspy as can be and LOUD, no sir, I don't like it!

What I absolutely love about the Corsa is STILL NO DRONE!

It is actually quieter cruising at 60+ now.

OVERALL

No engine light, etc.. so far on the non-header JG tune, header tune will be installed this week.

I only have a few miles on the set up but there is noticeably more power, mainly low end torque. The truck lugs around a lot easier now and spins a lot easier in the rain.

The only way I can explain it is that the truck seems way smoother and relaxed. My intake actually sounds quieter as well under normal driving as well.

I have not really done any WOT run yet but have gotten on it, it's just so loud and raspy that I don't want to rip on it.

CONCLUSION

Am I happy...

Install sucked, big time!

Corsa is WAY TOO LOUD now, I need to change the cat back to something tamer.

But, the truck seems to run noticeably better now and I should never have to worry about another broken exhaust bolt/manifold ever again!
Put a set of long tubes on a Challenger / Charger or 300,you'll think the trucks are a piece of cake afterwards,lol

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Takes 3 seconds to bend the dipstick out of the way. You dont even need to pull it.

View attachment 530962
So that looks a lot easier than what I ended up with!
(I fished mine through the rear 2 tubes like I had seen others do)

Did you go through the headers or under them?

Did you bolt the upper bracket to anything?

Are you using the lower bracket and bolt still?

Attachments

• Dip stick bend.jpg
    Dip stick bend.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 12

ThompNation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered my set of ARH 1 3/4” catless LTH in August and just got them a week ago! Thanks for your post, very informative and helpful as I’m doing all the research I can on tips & tricks. My truck is about to turn 200k and runs great! However, Ive decided to go ahead & rebuild the top end with a new cam, 6.4 intake, get the heads redone along with the header install so it will be a while before I get started. Maybe I’ll start my own thread on the project. I laughed out loud about you feeling embarrassed on cold starts..hilarious!

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really didn't think my Stainless Works headers were all that bad to install. After a 5-6 week wait, Moes called me to say they were experiencing long wait times to get the ARH ones and offered me the SW ones that were in stock, instead. I jumped right on it. The right side is so easy a caveman can do it, LOL. The left side is easier than the instructions say, I didn't have to lift the motor at all, just remove the motor mount heat shields. If you slip the dipstick tube in before you bolt the headers up, like the instructions say, it's not bad at all. I did manage to get it in with them bolted up, just by tweaking the brackets and the tube a bit. The brake lines weren't too close but I bent them away a little more, the shifter cable was touching so I pulled it away and cable tied it.
The Borla cat back has a nice mellow tone, not as loud as I expected.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
About an 8 degree bend two inch’s above where the tube enters the block , let me reuse both factory points without issues.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here a video of my set up, cold start @ 35* (loud!)
Holy cow that IS loud. I get ya, I wouldn't like that either.
Mine has Stainless Works long tubes with hi flow cats and an 18" Magnaflow muffler, otherwise stock factory single exhaust.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy cow that IS loud. I get ya, I wouldn't like that either.
Mine has Stainless Works long tubes with hi flow cats and an 18" Magnaflow muffler, otherwise stock factory single exhaust.
YUP, sound is pure heaven, but also would not be for me anymore. Many moons ago, had a 73 Grand Bonneville, stock exhaust, but only had on Thrush Mufflers, open backs. Lived in Military housing where all units in a U surround the parking lot and playground. U should have heard that Monster on Cold Stat-up. Needless to say, I had to pull the "birds" and put the stock system back on.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha!
I had an 83 Cutlass with Ttops, a 350 Rocket and some kind of cherry bomb mufflers. Powpoppowpowpop! every time you took your foot off the gas. Lost track of how many times I got pulled over for loud exhaust. Thought it was super cool when I was 23!!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha!
I had an 83 Cutlass with Ttops, a 350 Rocket and some kind of cherry bomb mufflers. Powpoppowpowpop! every time you took your foot off the gas. Lost track of how many times I got pulled over for loud exhaust. Thought it was super cool when I was 23!!
Had 68 Cutlass, ragtop, with 350 Jetfire 2 speed auto trans , car was great, my dumb feathered backside sold when got married. Should have kept car, ditched the other person, lmao.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck sounded good at start and part throttle other than being loud with Corsa. Mid to WOT it got very raspy/rattly sounding and VERY loud.

I have since swapped to Borla touring, info on that here - https://www.ramforum.com/threads/i-...have-lts-here-is-my-take.204673/#post-2857306

*EDIT*
Here is a cold start with 1500 miles on the Borla Touring

Last edited: