Firestone coil to air bags.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinny227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 CC. It has the coil to air Firestone 2595 I believe the number is. So, I have no rear coil springs. I thought they would be great to tow with. As I could take the sag out.

I have a 30’ TT. Weighing in around 5800 pounds with tongue weight of 680 pounds. We went camping about a week ago. I struggled with sway and what felt like I was dragging the trailer. It does had sway control bar and WD hitch. I am taking it in to get it adjusted if need be. I bought it from a guy with a Ram 1509. So, didn’t take it in to get the hitch adjusted for my truck.

After that short story. Would it be better to remove the airbags and go back to stock coil springs? Are the airbags not really the greatest for towing TT?

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I know some cars had Airbags only, Lincoln Continental comes to mind... they were fine until a big went flat from air leak. But, they do work for passenger cars. I don't think I would like only air bags for tow rig... Id like the springs for stability, and air bags for resistance. Having said that, my truck has the coils, and will be ADDING the air bags internal to the spring soon.
if it matters... my bike has an air shock, same philosophy, if the air pressure is to low, it is soft cushy ride with no support. when I jack up the psi, then it becomes more stable... what pressure were you running?