First catch can experience...400 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tonight I pulled the truck out and unscrewed the catch can...that bugger is hard for me to reach, but then again I am the guy who uses a swiffer to help polish the truck. I got it out and it had the bottom of the can covered, my guess is that it was a tablespoon of oil in there.

Next I checked my oil level and it was a bit off of the full line, but above the "add" line. Should I be adding oil in between oil changes? These sure are particular engines!

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Hey Jack...... That Swiffer trick is the bees knees! Don't you think any different. LOL!

That catch can pays for its self the first time you empty it, no doubt. I think your oil level will be fine, but you can always add a little if you want, it's not going to hurt anything.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
As long as the oil level is within the operating range it'll be fine. It's not really worth trying to top off with a few ounces of oil.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
There is no need to add oil each time you empty the catch can. Just change the oil at regular oil change intervals, and you will be fine.

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, I wasn't associating emptying the catch can with adding oil. I just noticed while under the hood that my oil was off the full mark. I wasn't sure where the oil was going or if I needed to be regularly checking the level and adding some to top it off.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I regulary check my oil (I just think it is a good idea)
but I would not worry about adding any unless it gets to the low side of the safe zone.

Outrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the idea of the catch can. Do they or will they be making a version for the 4.7 motor? or could I use the hemi 5.7 on my 4.7 with some mods made?

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
Maybe there is something up with my truck (in a good way). I have no oil issues what so ever. the stock air box has a baffle that would keep any oil from entering the throttle body by making the gasses travel down through the intake side of the filter then back. If there was any oil being sucked out of the engine it would be soaking the air filter; mine is white as can be after 5k miles and no oil loss. I'd like to see what others are seeing on their filters with the stock setup. Maybe the catch can is the cause.

BTW Mine is a '13 CC Hemi, 8 speed, 3.92, 4x4

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe there is something up with my truck (in a good way). I have no oil issues what so ever. the stock air box has a baffle that would keep any oil from entering the throttle body by making the gasses travel down through the intake side of the filter then back. If there was any oil being sucked out of the engine it would be soaking the air filter; mine is white as can be after 5k miles and no oil loss. I'd like to see what others are seeing on their filters with the stock setup. Maybe the catch can is the cause.

BTW Mine is a '13 CC Hemi, 8 speed, 3.92, 4x4

That's not how it works. If you search you will find tons of information about how a catch can will benefit your engine. Not catching the oil and sludge will attribute to numerous issues eventually. For example Having oil caked onto your intake valves can cause the following symptoms knocking, loss in power, loss in fuel economy.

First and best mod imo

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
That's not how it works. If you search you will find tons of information about how a catch can will benefit your engine. Not catching the oil and sludge will attribute to numerous issues eventually. For example Having oil caked onto your intake valves can cause the following symptoms knocking, loss in power, loss in fuel economy.

First and best mod imo

Look inside the intake side (clean) of your air box where the crank case vent tube enters; there is a chamber that will force the vapors down through the air filter. If there is any oil or sludge, it will get trapped in the filter.

One way the design of the can assembly would increase the amount of perceived oil consumption is if the inside diameter of the vent tube is decreased. When the hose ID is decreased the velocity of the air entering it is increased which will pull heavier particles and fluid through it giving you the “evidence” that backs up the catch cans purpose. The ID of the factory tube is quite a bit larger than the hose fittings used for the catch can; just a small decrease in size will make a big difference in air velocity.

Last edited:

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
After further research, I was looking at the wrong vent tube. But, based on the facts that my truck has none of the oil consumption issues that catch can users have, I'm still not sold. Maybe I'll borescope my intake and valves.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What issues do catch can users have? I have never seen a single person complain of having a problem with their catch can being installed. The catch can simply collects the oil that is being pumped out of the PCV and burned off in your motor. That oil is pumping through there regardless of whether the catch can is installed or not. All the catch can does is collect that oil and prevent it from being dumped back into your intake manifold. There is no issue with significant oil consumption on these trucks either with or without the can.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
After further research, I was looking at the wrong vent tube. But, based on the facts that my truck has none of the oil consumption issues that catch can users have, I'm still not sold. Maybe I'll borescope my intake and valves.
I think you are missing the point.

I do not have any oil consumption issues with my truck.

The PCV valve on my truck operates exactly as it is designed to.
There is a tube which runs from the PVC valve to the intake manifold.
This tube sends vapors and some oil/gunk into the intake manifold.

It is not pure oil. The stuff I find in my Catch Can does not look like the oil on my dipstick.
Dipstick oil is clean, stuff in the Catch Can is brownish-black.

You do not need a borescope to see what is happening.
There are two quick things you can do.
1) Take your air intake off the throtle body and look down inside the throttle body. If you see a brownish/black build-up under the plate, that is what the Catch Can eliminates.
2) Pull off the tube that runs from the PCV valve to the throtle body.
Put a q-tip or a paper towel in there. When you pull it out and there is blackish, oily residue on it, that is what the Catch Can "catches".

I installed the Catch Can and after about 400miles of driving around town & backroads, it had collected this:
a87b.jpg

After about 1,000mi (mostly highway) it collected this:
0b1h.jpg

That gunk would have gone into the intake to be burned, some of it sticks to and gums up the throtle body.

Is the Catch Can BS?
I dunno,
all I know for sure is that my throtle body stays cleaner now.

To me, adding the Catch Can is similar to putting in weathertech floormats.

ETA: And no, there is not enough gunk collected that I have to add oil to my engine between regular changes.
This stuff would be gone whether it is collected in the Catch Can or sent down the intake manifold.

Last edited: