First post, question about installing a new strut bushing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kossuth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all. I'm new here, but found some wonderful info via google about this place. Long story short, I am installing new struts on my 06 Ram 1500 4x4 and managed to get one of the bolts out with a ball joint C-clamp and an 11 mm 1/2" drive socket from Sears. Basically I used the socket as a driver and used the C-clamp and a receiver on the backside and was able to shock the driver's side bolt loose with a series of tighten/whack the hell outta the end of the threaded portion of the C-clamp with it tight to jar the bolt. Worked on the driver's side but that little trick didn't work on the passenger side and ultimately I was forced to mess up the bushing on the passenger side.

Saw the sticky with the part numbers for the bushings, that was awesome saves you a couple of hundred bucks easy. Now I'm looking for some additional help though. I did a quick search and had no result. Those strut bushings per the OEM manual state they need to be pressed in a certain distance using a specific tool. Does anybody know of a non dealer non $1000 option of setting the depth on this thing? I've looked through the various rental tools at advance, autozone, and such and I'm kinda at my whits end here. If somebody worked up a home brewed solution that's cool too, just let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure, I couldn't find a DIY.

Hopefully someone will chime in soon