First time truck OWNER.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. I recently bought my first truck. I've driven a them before having lived on a farm in my younger years and drove them with the Military (2004 Chevy Silverado "MILCOT" if you google them) but I have never personally owned one.
I have a thing for classic vehicles (my summer daily is a 70 Chevelle) and have been "in the market" for a 50-60's pick up for about 2 years.
With Covid and everyone in Canada seeming to have disposable income, the cost of old trucks has blown up. So I stopped actively looking. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much more convenient a truck would be, regardless of year. My regular car was a 2015 Chevy Sonic. As much as I often hated that car, I did love what that car did for me. With fold down back seats it truly was my truck haha. I've hauled more in that car than people who had elcaminos.
ANYWAYS... I had never considered a NEW truck since commercials etc always say roughly the $500/biweekly price point which, for me, was excessive from a $400/month car payment.
So I found a used, seemingly, to good to be true ad online from a dealership for a 2019 Big Horn at $277/biweekly. Went to see it and quickly saw the issues with it. I told him a budget and left him to figure it out.
About a week later (mid Dec 2021), I drove the sonic over and took home a 2019 Ram 1500 classic with 37000km. Got WAY MORE for my sonic than it was worth (thank you chip shortage) and got a smoking deal on the truck.
Needless to say.... but I love this truck. Everything about it is so much better.
I'm 35 and still have that 21yr old itch to customize everything I own.
I found this forum while trying to find out a way to remove the rear seat backs and why my screen randomly started saying Device Not Supported. Quickly fell down the forum rabbit hole and am now in the market for an upper glove box (since this cubby is ridiculously useless).
Photos attached are as I bought it and came with:
LED headlights, Bakflip tonnau cover, side steps, leveling kit, tint front and rear, leather, bed liner and new KO2's.
Since I bought it I have added the following:
Interior LED all around, Tinted tail and 3rd brake lights, Window rain visors, weather tech floor mats, box extender, LED bed lights with toggle switch in bed.
Current projects (thanks to the forums):
Hood vent LEDs (tedious as hell but I like it), mud flaps (bought but not put on yet), stereo (4 chan amp and 6x9 all around, 2 Alpine MRP500, 2 JBL 10W1V3-4 10", Cap, fiberglass box (ill make when its warm again), air cabin filter (how is this not a thing....), Magnetic tailgate cupholders (I do a lot of tailgate bench work).
Maybe down the road:
I like the idea of a winch in front but hate the massive bumpers. I've found some threads that show the hidden winch and may do that but with a hinged front plate to hide it much like the Chevelles rear plate for gas access and the 90 degree flip up tow mirrors.

Attachments

• Driveway.jpg
    Driveway.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Tailgate.jpg
    Tailgate.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 33

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome! And I can testify it's not just a 21-year-old itch - You'll have that itch all your life so keep scratching it ;). You picked up a great looking truck!

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Hey there, also from Canada (Ontario) and these trucks are fun to customize and play with. I would suggest trying a device like the pedal commander or one of the other similar devices. They really wake up the Hemi and make the throttle and accelerator pedal feel more smooth and linear, eliminates the lag with the stock electronic pedal and the feel.

If you do go for the pedal commander just don’t make adjustments on the fly, while driving, it can cause engine lights/codes to come up. I’ve had it in two Ram trucks now and always made adjustments while stopped or parked and have had zero issues at all with engine lights etc.

Nice looking truck, have fun with it!

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I’d also suggest adding some 5” exhaust tips from Lyell’s stainless in Burlington Ontario, around $200 for the pair and they fill up the bumper cutouts nicely, looks way better than stock ones (in my opinion). They have both stainless (silver/chrome) and black, free shipping right now or you can pick up at their shop if your not far (Ontario - GTA - Burlington)

I would be careful with muffler swapping, some give a TON of drone and can get you a ticket, one good option is the valved exhaust cutout from Hot Rod Scott’s in Toronto (Etobicoke) it’s around $500 installed and has a remote to operate it, you can go from stock to open headers sound with the push of a button, and back to stock again in 1 second if cops are around lol. Check out their Instagram or on YouTube etc. for clips of it in action.

OP
OP
GiJoeFontaine

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there, also from Canada (Ontario) and these trucks are fun to customize and play with. I would suggest trying a device like the pedal commander or one of the other similar devices. They really wake up the Hemi and make the throttle and accelerator pedal feel more smooth and linear, eliminates the lag with the stock electronic pedal and the feel.

If you do go for the pedal commander just don’t make adjustments on the fly, while driving, it can cause engine lights/codes to come up. I’ve had it in two Ram trucks now and always made adjustments while stopped or parked and have had zero issues at all with engine lights etc.

Nice looking truck, have fun with it!
FUNNY YOU MENTION THAT! I am picking up a 9-drive today after work. I'm stoked!

OP
OP
GiJoeFontaine

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah, I’d also suggest adding some 5” exhaust tips from Lyell’s stainless in Burlington Ontario, around $200 for the pair and they fill up the bumper cutouts nicely, looks way better than stock ones (in my opinion). They have both stainless (silver/chrome) and black, free shipping right now or you can pick up at their shop if your not far (Ontario - GTA - Burlington)

I would be careful with muffler swapping, some give a TON of drone and can get you a ticket, one good option is the valved exhaust cutout from Hot Rod Scott’s in Toronto (Etobicoke) it’s around $500 installed and has a remote to operate it, you can go from stock to open headers sound with the push of a button, and back to stock again in 1 second if cops are around lol. Check out their Instagram or on YouTube etc. for clips of it in action.
Thanks for the tips! haha... tips.... get it! lol.
Ya for an "all black" truck I have no idea why it has Chrome exhaust tips lol.
I sold a set of floor mats I bought on Facebook since they were advertised wrong and I didn't know there was a difference between a 2019 and a 2019 classic to some dude. We got to chatting and now ill get a 9-drive from him this evening. Good to know about not doing it on the fly. thanks for that.
Anyways, he had mentioned picking up a set of mufflers because I do LOVE the sound of the exhaust just its a bit quiet. He had mentioned FlowMaster 44. which someone here on a thread said it was REALLY loud which, I mean I have neighbors, who I like lol. But I have had cutouts like you mentioned before and may be the better route. How do they work for throwing codes? A friend of mine has them and when he turns them on he gets a check engine light. He DOES drive a ford so its probably because that light comes factory lit.

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
I actually had a FM super 44 installed in my truck first, and it was really loud (contrary to what others say, people who say that super 10 isn’t that loud or straight pipes lol - they’re ALL really freakin’ loud to normal non-deaf people lol) With the Super 44 you could hear my truck start up or idle all the way down the street, in the garage (with remote start) and the interior drone was ridiculous at certain speeds and rpm. It was ‘badass’ but made for a very uncomfortable drive when going around town, to work, and wife and kids hated it. The 50HD is MUCH better, less volume, better at drone reduction, I still get annoying drone on the highway at 98-109 km/hr since my truck with 3.92 gears I’m running at about 1900-2000 rpm at that speed, which is drone city range. A 3.21 or 3.55 geared truck would likely be much better with a FM 50HD. I am going to save up and try a cutout with maybe a FM Super 10 on the open/cutout side to go from stock to nasty without it being completely open headers.

For the tips I went with Lyell’s 5” stainless (chrome) tips on my granite grey metallic truck, I was thinking of the black 5” tips but with a dark truck, dark bumper I felt like they wouldn’t be very noticeable or even disappear in the shadows and dark under the truck, plus I’m still a little
Old school with liking chrome accents. Who knows maybe down the line I’ll try some black tips to see how it looks.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:welcome:

OP
OP
GiJoeFontaine

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had a FM super 44 installed in my truck first, and it was really loud (contrary to what others say, people who say that super 10 isn’t that loud or straight pipes lol - they’re ALL really freakin’ loud to normal non-deaf people lol) With the Super 44 you could hear my truck start up or idle all the way down the street, in the garage (with remote start) and the interior drone was ridiculous at certain speeds and rpm. It was ‘badass’ but made for a very uncomfortable drive when going around town, to work, and wife and kids hated it. The 50HD is MUCH better, less volume, better at drone reduction, I still get annoying drone on the highway at 98-109 km/hr since my truck with 3.92 gears I’m running at about 1900-2000 rpm at that speed, which is drone city range. A 3.21 or 3.55 geared truck would likely be much better with a FM 50HD. I am going to save up and try a cutout with maybe a FM Super 10 on the open/cutout side to go from stock to nasty without it being completely open headers.

For the tips I went with Lyell’s 5” stainless (chrome) tips on my granite grey metallic truck, I was thinking of the black 5” tips but with a dark truck, dark bumper I felt like they wouldn’t be very noticeable or even disappear in the shadows and dark under the truck, plus I’m still a little
Old school with liking chrome accents. Who knows maybe down the line I’ll try some black tips to see how it looks.
Interesting. thanks for letting me know. My Chevelle is a little ridiculous for ow loud it is so I always feel a bit bad for my neighbors when I'm leaving for work ass early. so maybe super 44's are not the best idea.
I'm in a 2019 classic so I have the opposite gearing from you. Thanks for the advice on the FM 50HD. I love the way it sounds now i just want it a BIT louder and deeper. but not in a metal blasting way... .if that makes sense
I'm not a huge chrome fan myself. but I never thought about how those tips would be lost if I went black. maybe I'll just spray these and see how it goes...But cutouts are forsure a route I'll take when the water and snow are gone in the spring.
Is Super 10 a loud exhaust? I have no knowledge about mufflers to be honest. Is it similar to straight pipe? I would figure if super 44 is obnoxious then super 10 would be less so unless its backwards and 10 is worse lol.

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
Interesting. thanks for letting me know. My Chevelle is a little ridiculous for ow loud it is so I always feel a bit bad for my neighbors when I'm leaving for work ass early. so maybe super 44's are not the best idea.
I'm in a 2019 classic so I have the opposite gearing from you. Thanks for the advice on the FM 50HD. I love the way it sounds now i just want it a BIT louder and deeper. but not in a metal blasting way... .if that makes sense
I'm not a huge chrome fan myself. but I never thought about how those tips would be lost if I went black. maybe I'll just spray these and see how it goes...But cutouts are forsure a route I'll take when the water and snow are gone in the spring.
Is Super 10 a loud exhaust? I have no knowledge about mufflers to be honest. Is it similar to straight pipe? I would figure if super 44 is obnoxious then super 10 would be less so unless its backwards and 10 is worse lol.
The lower the number with FM the louder and closer to open headers it is. The super 10 is 1-2 steps quieter than straight open headers lol …. So it’s LOUD lol!!

Not A Cop

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome, brother! I'm a newbie as well. Sharp truck and such a low payment. Well played. I'm paying a mortgage for mine as we traded in my wife's POS journey and got all of 1600 for it haha. I'm about to start the upgrades here shortly, probably starting with a Carven competitor and a CAI.

Been ******** around with some plastidip just to get some idea for what things look like. Interested in seeing your 19 classic after a few mods.

OP
OP
GiJoeFontaine

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome, brother! I'm a newbie as well. Sharp truck and such a low payment. Well played. I'm paying a mortgage for mine as we traded in my wife's POS journey and got all of 1600 for it haha. I'm about to start the upgrades here shortly, probably starting with a Carven competitor and a CAI.

Been ******** around with some plastidip just to get some idea for what things look like. Interested in seeing your 19 classic after a few mods.
Congrats on the truck! Good riddance to the journey haha

I’ll keep it posted. Did the subs, mud flaps, bed lighting, air cabin.

Working on led hood vents, upper glove box and push start.

Not A Cop

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hell yes. I've been working on this paint correction for what seems to be a lifetime haha. Exhaust is next, CAI, and a level. I have the 20 inch wheels and I think I'm gonna sell them and get some 18s. I'd rather have more tire tbh.

OP
OP
GiJoeFontaine

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOO amps and subs in. ****, without the rear seats and back cover in the cab it was crazy loud! So i ended up sound deadening the whole rear wall.
Didnt go fiberglass and just bit the bullet and bought a vehicle specific enclosure. way simpler and i trust that more than my "handy work"

this week I got a parcel of an assortment of LEDs. ill be redoing the bed lighting since this 3m taped one fell off. Also ill be putting in led lights under my side steps and tapped to the courtesy lights for approach when i unlock the doors. Also putting in the upper glove box i got from some random wrecker in Vancouver Washington! $50usd shipped to my door vs $150 CAD locally. ill take that any day of the week!