Flowmaster Super44 too restrictive for Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3RamDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently found out that the Flowmaster super 44 muffler is too restrictive for my 13' Hemi. I've had other Hemi's and have definitely thought something was holding this one back, but figured it was just the 8-speed tranny. Now I'm starting to think it is the muffler.

Flowmaster told me that the super 40 would be my best option for the Hemi. Has anyone actually switched from the 44 to the 40, or even something else? Was the performance difference and sound difference noticeable?

Note: I want the exhaust to sound as low, loud, and mean as possible. But I obviously don't want to choke that wonderul Hemi engine.

Any input would be great!! Thanks!

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler is going to come down to the sound that YOU like ..... I don't think any muffler out there is going to "choke" out your engine. Some may flow a little better , such as a mangaflow , vs. a chambered muffler like a flomaster, but you won't [feel] any difference there. It's all about the sound you are lookin for. Try out a mangaflow if you are concerned about flow. They do sound great. Just my .02

OP
OP
3RamDude

3RamDude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, Ronan!

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
+1 for Magnaflow. Back in my 2nd gen Ram days, there wasn't much better than Magnaflows other than straight piping.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I dont have any proof one way or the other but why would Flowmaster say its too restrictive get the other one unless its more expensive. The easiest sale is just letting you buy what you want in the first place

Edit: i thought the op was asking a question. He was not. Carry on lol

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself a mufflex dodm80. The sound is better than any other exhaust set up I've heard. And install is simple. No restriction at all.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself a mufflex dodm80. The sound is better than any other exhaust set up I've heard. And install is simple. No restriction at all.

Actually they say a magnaflow is less restrictive than a straight pipe. The pipe itself creates resistance, and the magnaflows core has less surface area than a straight pipe.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The flowmaster 40 series are a 2 chamber design, nothing restrictive about them that is going to be noticeable. I've seen some CFM charts that show differences in the mufflers but you put them on the dyno and it's a wash between the highest rated to the lowest rated on a relatively stock vehicle.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 50HD was designed "specifically" for the HEMI engine. I found that exhaust systems other than OEM on stock motor that you lose top or bottom end.

Yes, the 50 series hd is specially made for our hemi trucks.

50HD here dual in dual out with X pipe at the crush. Completely different truck. Pulls up from a lug without that wonky harsh downshift. It will actually accelerate in ECO mode now. It wouldn't before. Sorry OP. It's only a click above stock sound wise.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
50HD here dual in dual out with X pipe at the crush. Completely different truck. Pulls up from a lug without that wonky harsh downshift. It will actually accelerate in ECO mode now. It wouldn't before. Sorry OP. It's only a click above stock sound wise.

I have the Original 40 series true duals on my 6.4 Hemi and I can get it to accelerate in ECO mode in the right circumstances where it wouldn't before. Between 30 to 50 seems to be the sweet spot to get it to stay in ECO mode while going up hill with light throttle.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As said above, the 50 hd was made for chrysler v8, i heard it does the same benefits for the 4.7 as the 5.7. This is according to my local exhaust shop. I have a delta 40 on

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you young turks running these loud *** mufflers. Ah to be 20 again. 40 series delta flow. good lord. :)

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you young turks running these loud *** mufflers. Ah to be 20 again. 40 series delta flow. good lord. :)

I'm not in my 20's anymore and run a super 10. Now if you compare that to age now to then I was running a 20" purple ***** glass pack bolted directly to the collector flange of a set of ****** super comp headers on a big cammed 289 in a 67 mustang.. so I guess I have gotten quieter in my age .,

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the MBRP cat back. Straight through design with many lips and such with some packing around to tame it down. With long tube headers it was on par with Flowmaster Outlaw loud. I added a Vibrant model #1141 resonator after Y-pipe and before the MBRP muffler. It has a straight through 3" bore with simple perforated holes with packing around that. I didn't want the resonator but unfortunately at mild acceleration I was afraid of getting a ticket!

Everything flows REALLY well.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not in my 20's anymore and run a super 10. Now if you compare that to age now to then I was running a 20" purple ***** glass pack bolted directly to the collector flange of a set of ****** super comp headers on a big cammed 289 in a 67 mustang.. so I guess I have gotten quieter in my age .,
Ive been wanting to go from the super 40 to the 10 for a good while now... Does it cackle/helicopter?

IMO

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been wanting to go from the super 40 to the 10 for a good while now... Does it cackle/helicopter?

IMO

Thats the prob I had lol, never heard "cackle" yet!