fluctuating rpm's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kool-aid kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Bighorn 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
2003 ram 2500 5.7. Just changed coils, plugs and wires. new air filter. Starts and idles good but can feel a little roughness in the idle. twice since the tune up it has missed roughly after starting. Giving it some gas did not smooth anything out. But if I shut it off and restarted it everything was then ok. These two times I mentioned probably were a week or 2 apart. I started it today and let it warm up and played with giving it gas while sitting there in park. 1st I attempted to hold the tach at around 1500 to 2000 rpm. It would hold that for a few seconds and then fall 4 or 5 hundred rpm then it would rise back up and fall again, back and forth. I experimented with more rpm and at 2500 rpm it would only loose a couple of hundred rpm. Again up and down. Above 2500 I didn't have any rpm fluctuations. Any Idea's would be appreciated. Going to try some injector cleaner and will try to get a gauge to check fuel rail pressure.

OP
OP
K

Kool-aid kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Bighorn 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn't mention, no cel except for the fuel evap system which I've been to cheap to fix.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it surging under load ?

OP
OP
K

Kool-aid kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Bighorn 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
No. Its not surging under load. In fact it seems fine out on the road doing 60 or more. I haven't had it do the rough idle and missing for a week or so. maybe I need to go put my foot in the throttle hard and let it eat and see if it acts up.