Fog Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jak0253

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Recall finally done picking up truck this afternoon, 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesmen. I want to install fog lights, I have lights, brackets and hardware. I will need the wiring harness. Also want to use my factory installed auxiliary switch rather than connect to headlight switch. So I am hoping someone here has done this and can help me out with part #'s and installation tips. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jak0253

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I did, he only does harness connected to headlight switch. Actually he was against hooking to the auxiliary switch but didn't elaborate why.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you doing factory fog lights? You might need to do some wiring hack work, sounds like you probably need the upfitter wiring harness and some bulk wire.

This video shows the upfitter kit wiring a bit starting about 7ish minutes in.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree with M²Mods, better to use headlight switch. Using the dedicated headlight switch runs it through the fuse box, wiring from the switch to box is factory designed for that purpose, and eliminates any problems that could come from a general use set up and makes it easier to troubleshoot if a problem arises.

You can get the switch from Benny at allmoparparts, the wiring harness from M²Mods and also get the factory wiring connectors that connect from the end of Mike's harness to the fog lights.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with M²Mods, better to use headlight switch. Using the dedicated headlight switch runs it through the fuse box, wiring from the switch to box is factory designed for that purpose, and eliminates any problems that could come from a general use set up and makes it easier to troubleshoot if a problem arises.

You can get the switch from Benny at allmoparparts, the wiring harness from M²Mods and also get the factory wiring connectors that connect from the end of Mike's harness to the fog lights.
If OP is referring to the factory installed aux switch panel, then they are just as protected but without the fog light high beam dropout and all that. They will function just like any aftermarket light, fused and all.

OP
OP
J

jak0253

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Yes. I have the factory installed aux switches which, from what I understand, are fused and relayed. I have a basic idea of what I will need to do just looking for tips to make installation easier/better. Also, unless I have a part # I cannot figure out how to order OEM parts? Tried several OEM vendors, what am I doing wrong?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

I did, he only does harness connected to headlight switch. Actually he was against hooking to the auxiliary switch but didn't elaborate why.

Long story short, I've got all the details worked out to fully support folks with the factory Foglight switch and wiring setup which I have actuallly put my own hands on with someone's truck before.
Unfortunately I just don't have the free time with existing orders and support, to look into tweaking it for a more custom setup I'm not totally familiar with. ...
As discussed, you could get the bumper harness and BCM extension harness I offer and modify it to go to your aux system... But you'd have to determine what's needed for that.

Edit: fyi...
factory setup has 2 separate outputs for each light (monitoring if they go out), will come on automatically at night, can drop out with high beams (or not with AlfaOBD setting) and the output can be enabled for LED (12v constant) vs Halogen (12v pulsed/pwm).
The Aux switch I believe is a single 12v output with no monitoring and the 2 separate fog leads would likely need tied together/to it. Not sure if it's a constant 12v or pwm output.

Last edited: