For those that have broken eazy outs trying to extract a bolt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I broke a bolt on my diff cover a couple days ago. Not the first time I've broken the head off a bolt so no panic. I drilled out the centre of the bolt the usual way. Centre punch the middle and proceed to drill it out for an eazy out. This time however the eazy out broke in the hole. Now panic set in as there was nothing to grab to get it out. After breaking and wearing out most of my drill bits I found a solution. I have a rotozip that turns around 25,000 rpm and I picked up a 1/8" HSS die grinder tip and slowly but surely ground the eazy out out. Of course if you have an actual die grinder that would work better. Took 2 bits, but I got it. What I learned was you can grind an eazy out out if you have the time and will, drill as big a hole as possible to get the biggest possible eazy out in there and buy quality eazy outs. Also my hand is steadier than I thought as no threads were damaged and I cut it pretty close.15321312848441864656100.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was warned about braking off those same bolts, what TQ did you use?

I think spec is 30ft-lbs but others suggested 20-25

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Nice job! I snapped of a 1/4-20 tap in my driver side fuel rail (needed to tap it for screws to mount engine covers). I won't even **** with that it is so far back and a VERY small tip in plastic.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was warned about braking off those same bolts, what TQ did you use?

I think spec is 30ft-lbs but others suggested 20-25
I wasn't even at the torque wrench point yet. Had a short 3/8" ratchet and was just snuggling it up. The others took 25lbs, but it felt like a lot. Way more than I put on the one I broke.

OP
OP
BWL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice job! I snapped of a 1/4-20 tap in my driver side fuel rail (needed to tap it for screws to mount engine covers). I won't even **** with that it is so far back and a VERY small tip in plastic.
The heat that grinder puts out I'd say plastic would melt. I had a cup of cutting fluid next to me and I kept dipping the bit to keep it cool, but there was some smoke. At least I had a clean view and it wasn't behind the sway bar. Gotta say when the bigger eazy out started turning out the bolt it was a pretty good feeling. Went from cranky and stressed to happy real quick.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
The heat that grinder puts out I'd say plastic would melt. I had a cup of cutting fluid next to me and I kept dipping the bit to keep it cool, but there was some smoke. At least I had a clean view and it wasn't behind the sway bar. Gotta say when the bigger eazy out started turning out the bolt it was a pretty good feeling. Went from cranky and stressed to happy real quick.
Serious pucker factor, I hear ya! Nice work @BWL

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta say when the bigger eazy out started turning out the bolt it was a pretty good feeling. Went from cranky and stressed to happy real quick.

I hear ya, I broke off an 8-32 tap the other day, luckily I got it out and was able to tap it tonight

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look into solid carbide drill bits, they cut through hardened steel, such as taps, regular drill bits, and ez-outs. My last job kept a stock on them and they were life savers. I've drilled out a number of broken taps with them. Just be careful because they are extremely brittle... You break one of them and your are really SOL unless you can break it apart.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tightened my diff cover bolts to 192 in-lbs, no leaks no broken bolts