Broken Cam Shaft Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HogTacular

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 with an odd issue around 30K miles. The Eco mode would cause a weird sound almost like a muffled Jake brake from an eighteen-wheeler, but only in Eco Mode. On the way into the dealership, the noise worsened and even stalled the vehicle twice in a less than 5-mile trip to get services. Came to a stop after it stalled and the vehicle autocorrected the shifter and applied a parking brake. I was able to restart the truck and continue to dealership. The Dealer said it was a broken camshaft bolt and it was 3 qts low on oil. There are no visual signs of leaks at the home parking space or my regular work spot, nor any signs under the engine of leaks. The dealer asked me who or when the last oil change was, and I replied it was done at the same dealership in January this year and less than 5k miles ago. Thank goodness for the warranty as they are changing the camshaft and cam gear, but for some reason, they are not changing the lifters. To me that's like changing the pistons and reusing the rings and bearings, why would you not change the lifters? Can anyone help explain this? At this point, I am losing faith in the brand, and thinking of moving the vehicle.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Find a different dealer. Dealerships are independently owned and operated businesses. Sounds like they did not fill the oil at your last oil change. Any brand engine will have trouble with insufficient oil. The issue is the dealer not the brand. Every brand has good and bad dealers.