Ford owner thinking about a Ram, tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Ritchie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all! Currently driving a 17 F150 Supercab XL Sport 4x4 with the NA 3.5.

Mostly a dd with some occasional hauling/towing- nothing major and similar offroading.

Considering a Ram 1500 for the same type of driving.

Just drove an 18 Tradesman with the 3.6, quad cab 4x4- pretty similar package. I liked the truck well enough, but have never owned a Dodge before.

Anything to watch out for in these years/models?

I've read good things about the Pentastar V6, how do they hold up- anything to be wary of?

Liked the ride, surprised these trucks have coil springs in the rear, how do they hold up?

Basically just looking for any tips, things to be careful of, stay away from etc- is there any engine/trans combo that is known to be problematic, known to be bulletproof? Stay away from this axle code, these features cause problem- things like that.

Any help appreciated!

OP
OP
M

Matthew Ritchie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I believe this had the 3.21 (or similar) rear end, seemed ok around town, does it help with mpg on the highway or does the trans just end up dropping a gear?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yes, it helps with MPG on the highway, but can hurt it slightly in town if you like to push the skinny peddle a bit too much between stops/lights (compared to 3.55 or 3.92 gears).

I do not know what you occasionally tow, but 3.21 can also hurt your towing a bit compared to 3.55 or 3.92, so be aware of that.
According to the Ram site, 3.21 geared V6 quad cab 4x4 can tow a maxium of 4,440 lbs.
3.55 gears would up that to 7,490 lbs.

Personally, now that I've had it, I'd never consider anything except 3.92 gears. However, to each their own.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the coils springs in the rear the ram sags easy under just a little weight. I was surprised how easy it sags. My F150 I had before this handled the weight much better!

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I had a 13 ram 1500 SLT CC 3.6L/3.21 4x4 for 5 years and used it for my move from VA to Indiana & finally SC.

Great truck and did everything I needed. Only reason I traded it in on an 18 Laramie CC v8/3.21 was because my son got me a great deal at the dealership where he works.

There's a few posts with pictures of it around the forum somewhere loaded up and hauling through the Appalachian mountains and not missing a beat.

M² Mods.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had a 2016 SLT 3.6 with 3:21. No complaints. The engine actually has a nice sound to it. I would turn the radio down sometimes and just listen to it.

I have a 2017 now and with the Hemi. 3:21. To be honest the fuel mileage isn’t too far off.They balance each other out. Highway/country roads Hemi is better. I find it doesn’t struggle as much especially when it’s windy. In the city the Hemi is not as good as the 3.6 but you make up for it towing and driving on highway etc.

As far as reliably goes I honestly think it’s probably on par with any other vehicle nowadays. I don’t really think they are better or worse. Maybe the high end brands are made better, however, that comes with a price.

Some owners report zero issues. Some report lots. Some report minor. Some report major. I’m sure ANY brand is the same [emoji2369]

Take a look at the “what don’t you like about your ram” thread. Maybe it’ll shed some light on what people are annoyed with or issues you could expect.

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

Last edited:

Slevin

Reaction score
If I didn't have the Ecodiesel I would have got the Pentastar v6. Especially since I also use mine as a commuter.

I've never had the engine in a Ram but I had it in a Durango. It was more than adequate for around town and highway cruising.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah the RAM definitely doesn't have the same payload as an F150 but I think its worth the tradeoff considering the F150 rides like a buckboard!
There's not that much difference in payload so I wouldn't let that sway you.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will you leave the truck bone stock? If so grab any color/trim package. If you will mod it with lift, bigger tires etc Then get one with factory 3.92 and 8 speed. The V6 pentastar is a great engine I had one in my 13 Jeep Wrangler which I sold with about 120k miles all I ever did was oil changes, spark plugs once, radiator fluid once, zero visits to the dealer for anything.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
3.21 can also hurt your towing a bit compared to 3.55 or 3.92, so be aware of that.
According to the Ram site, 3.21 geared V6 quad cab 4x4 can tow a maxium of 4,440 lbs. 3.55 gears would up that to 7,490 lbs.

Agreed. There is little or no MPG difference between the 3.21 and 3.55 geared trucks, but there is a HUGE difference in towing capacity. 3.55 is the way to go
(unless you want something geared really low to tow heavy stuff all the time with).

Last edited: