Front Axle Adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cerd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking its an optical illusion, but I picked up a 2003 Ram 2500 a few months ago. I have been slowly repairing things that I need to make sure are reliable, but as I was changing the tires, I noticed that the front passenger wheel is sticking out about an inch to 1.5 inches farther than the front driver side.

I plan to bring it to an alignment shop soon, but I was curious what would cause this?

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I have never owned a vehicle without independent front suspension, so the solid axle is a bit foreign to me.

Photos attached. For reference, I tried to line up the front tire to where I can just barely see the rear tires. I hope this gives some consistency regarding the placement on the body. I can also feel about an inch difference with my hand from the inside of the top of the tire to the coil spring top mount on the frame.

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Passenger.jpg
    Passenger.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The left-to-right spacing is determined by the track bar, but it changes dynamically with your ride height. Mine was in the center but after I added a level (2" raise) it is now about 1/2" off to the driver's side. Since yours is off to the passenger side, I wonder if A) your truck is lowered or B) your springs are supper worn out and it is beginning to squat down, causing a similar issue.

If its lowered and you want to keep it that way, this can be corrected with a shorter track bar. If its not supposed to be lowered, then new springs could raise the front end back up and put everything where its supposed to be.

Me and my brother both drive leveled 2500s with the stock track bar. If you look for it its a little goofy looking but it won't hurt anything the way it is.

seems fishy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hit a curb with my 84Firebird when it was a couple years old,and I bent three wheels,and a spindle.After the alignment the front wheel on one side was always sticking out further on one side .The car always pulled a bit to that side afterward.Was yours ever in an accident

OP
OP
C

Cerd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have a frame of reference to how high the suspension is compared to how it should be. I would estimate that it is about 10 inches from the top of the 33 inch tires to the fender center. The flares do not add much below factory lip.

To the best of my knowledge, it has not been in any accident. There is no known report and I did not see any indication of such when visually insoecting the body and frame.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If someone were to follow you down a perfectly level road and it looks like your truck is going crooked down the road, chances are the frame is bent. It doesn't take an accident to bend a frame and they can be straightened if that is the reason your tire is sticking further out on one side. An alignment shop will have the answers your looking for. Good luck,