Front End Vibration - catastrophic failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sedouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 Ram Sport 4x4. A couple days ago, I noticed a vibration in my brake petal. I haven't been driving much, but I know it is new. Got under the truck today to see what the problem is, thinking it is a motor mount. Turns out the two bolts holding on the bottom side of the drivers motor mount that hold the differential had worked their way out. This resulted in the bracket on the other side that is a cast aluminum part snapped off. Leaving me with nothing but the axles and a couple wires holding the differential in. Looking up parts, I don't see this as available separately from the front differential assembly. Anybody have any ideas? used parts all over on ebay, but not sure how reliable they are. If this is stock would they all be 3.21 ratio or were there different ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The housing on the right side below is what I am looking for. The bracket there is what snapped.

diff.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do a Gen 3 front diff swap . Will be way cheaper then putting that garbage Gen 4 front diff back in.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it's a clean break,you might be able to have the broken piece welded back on

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it seems like when this kind of stuff happens theres usually more to the story. has a shop or yourself done any kind of front end work that would have been the cause ? shops dont always follow proper torq procedures and just put bolts gutentite and your story is the end result of shotty work.
was the truck bought used and perhaps a previous owner has messed with the front end ?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you do used be sure to get the correct gear ratio. Three available 321 , 355 , 392 , unless someone swapped to something aftermarket.

OP
OP
S

sedouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the truck with 22k on it and that area hasn’t been touched since I’ve have it 7 years and 80k miles. If I had to guess, when the lift kit was put on, it wasn’t torqued properly. I thought about having it welded, but if I can find used I’ll probably just swap it. I need to go to the dealer to find out about some of these parts though. Some places say all the way to 2021 is the same. Some say 2018. There’s a 2019-2021 that’s $600 new where there 2018 is $1400. Can’t figure that out.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you aware of Rams ” Classic” line ? That seems like where your confusion is coming from, Ram continued to make the 4th gen classic , while also releasing the 5th generation . So they overlap, and it is up to you to figure out what you have. 4 th generations are DS series , 5th gens are DT in the Ram lineup.hope this provides some clarification for you.

OP
OP
S

sedouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you aware of Rams ” Classic” line ? That seems like where your confusion is coming from, Ram continued to make the 4th gen classic , while also releasing the 5th generation . So they overlap, and it is up to you to figure out what you have. 4 th generations are DS series , 5th gens are DT in the Ram lineup.hope this provides some clarification for you.
That would probably explain it. Now, why on earth the DT front differentials are only $600 where the DS is $1400 is a little more than concerning.

OP
OP
S

sedouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'm going to fabricate a 1/4" steel plate to mate the two cast aluminum pieces back together. With the lift on there I'll just have to remove the lock solenoid and the top part of the broken piece. If I can help from replacing the whole thing or taking the whole thing down, I'm going to.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, just to be clear, Your truck has had a lift kit put on it sometime in its lifetime?