fuel level gone wild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andler2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to add to this, I have the fuel level sensor failure on my 2014 Ram 1500 and It's very repeatable if not repaired.

Mine will throw a code at 3/8 full, then show empty. Code is always the same, Fuel level sensor voltage high(P0463). I went in the my local Jeff Wyler dealer to get new "Mopar" antifreeze due to a faulty water pump bearing going bad @ 85k miles and asked about the fuel level sensor. The Manager just happened to be there and said that he's had a lot of replacements on the rams for this error and the current replacement procedure is to sell you a whole new fuel pump assembly. I checked with their team that schedules recall fixes and they didn't show any recall for this particular issue.

I assume that the contacts that are supposed to be reporting fuel levels are bending due to everyday use and are coming out of contact after a certain range of motion. In my case, my tank used to get down to about 1/8 before it failed and showed empty with a CEL. Then after a while I noticed it would start at 1/4 and now it fails at 3/8. Here is a link to a replacement pump that shows the contacts on a standard fuel pump assembly for our Rams. https://www.showmethepartsdb3.com/BIN/documents/Airtex/TSB-0410-01_ATX.pdf

Unfortunately, since it's been 20 degrees out for a couple weeks here in Ohio, I haven't gotten a chance to drop the tank to test my theory and it's not something that is detrimental to my vehicle running. I just keep an eye on miles and usually end up filling 20 gallons at a time.

OP
OP
A

ariel0512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Andler
the dealer scoped mine out, and ran multiple test, turns out it was the fuel pump sending unit.
since i have the truck back, i really have not had a chance to get it to 1/2 tank as of yet and start driving around until then. i got lucky that i have a friend that works at the dealer and did the test and replacement. i will update once i got pas the half tank. it been cold here in Colorado so we will see.