Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the way to work this morning I stopped and filled up the went on to work about a mile away. At lunch today I got on the highway and headed for Home Depot. About 5 miles into the drive, i started losing power, then it would come back again, each time worse and worse. I was able to exit into a parking lot and I put it in park and it idled fine and a revved it a bit no issues.
I turned it off and went into the store, when I came back it's not starting. It tries to start then just cranks.
I hear the pump when I turn the key but it acts like it's out of gas. On a tow truck now headed to a shop. I'm thinking pump or bad gas maybe? No codes.
Anyone had something like this before?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could for sure be a bad pump you will have to check the pressure try to spray some starting fluid or gas down the intake see if it runs. You should take a sample of the fuel aswell put it in a bottle let it sit see if any water settles to bottom.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TIPM fuel relay can fail and it would seem like a fuel pump issue. But usually it causes hard start issues before failing while driving.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The few times I've had fuel pumps go bad they don't make any noise, no prime nothing. Does it have any codes?

OP
OP
burner71

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No codes

Shop called and said they checked all relays and fuses, all good.
Pump is just dribbling fuel to the rail, pump is shot.
180 bucks to install plus part cost. Not bad