Gen 3 5.7 2wd ls1 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tooltime86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello everyone. I recently bought a 03 ram 1500 2wd 5.7 hemi ram. The engine was blown when i bought it. Rear two connecting rods broke and the block is trash. After looking around the bone yard engine's and talking with a friend of mine, ive decided to persue a ls1 swap. I found a 05 express van 3500 with 6.0 lq4 engine and 4l80e trans, just wondering if anyone has done this setup and some of the challenges. From what ive read some guys have gone from the 4.7 to ls1 using factory 4.7 motor mounts and crafting a trans plate for trans mount that is moved back about 2". But as far as the driveshaft and wiring seems much more challenging along with being able to get the gm pcm to talk to the mopar ipc And bcm ect. Any insight would be helpful. Also when picking a good cam for ls1 with factory gear ratio,( not sure which i have yet) from what ive read could be one if three 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92. This would be a daily driver with the every once and a while towing. Not looking for a insane cam but noticable power from lets say 1600 rpm to 6800 rpm. But yet keep good vacuum for braking. Sorry for the long thread.

OP
OP
T

Tooltime86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I figured id catch some heat for this thread, but honestly all bs aside. If it was the other way around there are going to be knowledgeable people in both makes. I guess you guys dont like rat rods or any thing custom. Its easy to just stick with the norm. Think outside the box and look at facts, this engine is blown and not fixable, i got the motor and trans for right around $500. That currently run, i pulled both from the bone yard. I Could not find a gen 3 hemi that was not fubared. Ive been doing regular repair as a mechanic for 10 yrs plus but ive never done anything custom or outside the box like this. Bottom line, its just nuts and bolts mopar or not. Not everyone goes to the dealer to fix their problems. Anyone has any knowledge to share by all means do so. Keyboard warriors not needed.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I had a Silverado an a hemi/ or mod motor to put in it last place I’d go to is a Chevy forum to ask questions. Since it sounds like you’ve seen Dans truck(4.7 swapped to 6.0) I’d ask him what all he did, he’ll be able to give you some insight probably.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. I Could not find a gen 3 hemi that was not fubared.
2. Ive been doing regular repair as a mechanic for 10 yrs plus but ive never done anything custom or outside the box like this.
3. Bottom line, its just nuts and bolts mopar or not.
4. Not everyone goes to the dealer to fix their problems.
5. Anyone has any knowledge to share by all means do so.
6. Keyboard warriors not needed.

Ok, knowledge:
1. You didn't look hard enough.
2. Might not want to jump head first into a cross manufacturer swap/adaptation if you've never customized anything. Especially since you picked THE WORST YEAR truck for trying to customize things bwahahahaha
3. Sounds like someone with no loyalty to anything
4. Not sure what that has to do with anything....
5. As I said earlier, you will not find much help here; no one here really got the itch to swap a generic motors engine into their Mopar
6. I could really go on a tear responding to this one, but I'll be nice for once since you're obviously the special kid LMAO

For the record, just about all who jump in here (this was your first post and I daresay your last once this thread runs its course, just like everyone else; why become a useful contributing member of a forum when you can just try to get what you need, talk **** and bail?) asking: how do I swap my (insert whatever engine here) for a (insert other engine here)? Should just be a couple wires and drop it in, right? This tells me that despite your claimed "mechanic status", you don't really have the first clue on how these rolling computer networks operate and communicate internally. Of course you could go stand alone and while the engine will run, nothing else will work right. If someone actually got it to work, then you need to talk directly to THAT PERSON, because (especially with that keyboard warriors crack) the rest of us have not tried nor care to.

Good luck in your endeavor, I don't expect to see much once you don't get the answers you want lol

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I had a Silverado an a hemi/ or mod motor to put in it last place I’d go to is a Chevy forum to ask questions.

Go to a Chevy forum with that question and see what kind of ridicule happens lol

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you think a LS swap is “outside the box” you must not not pay much attention. Everything has been LS swapped to the point it’s a joke. Search YouTube for 10 minutes, there’s several videos with Rams and LS motors. We have tons of experience with the Hemi motor and building them up, myself included but you are on your own with an LS motor. You need mounts and engine management. It’s just amazing to me people think it’s easier to rip the entire drivetrain and computer system out of their vehicle because they got a $500 junkyard motor and swap everything out instead of simply grabbing another Hemi, throwing a cam and heads and rebuilding it better. Good luck

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
True. I love the LSA in my ZL1, why not go that route? It's so much work these days to swap, from drivetrain, harnesses, ecm, o2 sensors, etc., I can't imagine a swap except from a builder. The cost of product and hundreds of hours of labor to place in a 15 year old truck makes no sense to me (unless it's an otherwise near ****** carcass...and that's your thing). After the engine and drivetrain are completed, I wouldn't want to leave the old suspension, steering, lines etc. in either.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
True. I love the LSA in my ZL1, why not go that route? It's so much work these days to swap, from drivetrain, harnesses, ecm, o2 sensors, etc., I can't imagine a swap except from a builder. The cost of product and hundreds of hours of labor to place in a 15 year old truck makes no sense to me (unless it's an otherwise near ****** carcass...and that's your thing). After the engine and drivetrain are completed, I wouldn't want to leave the old suspension, steering, lines etc. in either.

It’s honestly not that involved, especially if you (original post guy) plan on doing all the work. It’s possible and LS swaps are the most common engine swaps ever, and guys already put the 4l80e trans in high power rams. It’s a lot of work yes, and around here I consider ill advised since he already has the Hemi platform. But if you want to do the work, you want a different project and don’t care about losing some small functionalities that come from swapping a whole drivetrain, go for it.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Stephen99ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn’t get any more reliable than the ls1. Those things are bulletproof. And the best bang for your buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Better go home and sleep it off... spend the money and build the ram... now with the bs aside. If the OP has a specific ram related question there are plenty here and elsewhere that will help.

OP
OP
T

Tooltime86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What size tires are you guys running on these gen 3's? Drop some pics. If size changes speedo how much does it change? I haven't decided on what stance im looking for yet. Lifted or lowered or stock height.