Goes into overdrive and feels like I put on the brakes..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdJordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 Ram1500, 5.9, 4wd, with a 46re transmission. I had to replace the entire overdrive section because it seized up and destroyed itself. Heaving a strange problem now that I haven't been able to solve. Transmission works fine until it goes into overdrive,,, then it feels like I hit the brake. Truck starts slowing down like I have hit the brakes or manually downshifted. If I press the overdrive button to turn off overdrive it immediately stops doing this and acts normal. As long as I drive it with the overdrive off everything works fine. Every time I let it go into overdrive it feels like I stepped on the brake and the truck starts slowing down hard. I bought this overdrive unit used, and before I installed it I disassembled the unit to check the clutches and other components. Everything was clean and looked good so I decided to install it as is. I'm not finding anything when I google this, so I hope we have a transmission guy here that can tell me what's going on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357