Good article comparing Shorties to Long tubes on a Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nice article, thanks for sharing. The tough part is shoe-horning them into a 3/4 ton frame, then working on the tune again.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, ostensibly shorties should fix the bolt breaking problem by not warping, for far less money and time than long tubes, even though you don't get much torque upgrade.

Machining the factory cast manifolds after warping also works, but your truck is inoperable while you wait for the manifolds to get milled.

Lots of guys are looking for solutions to exhaust manifold bolt breakage and get into header discussions as a result. I'd wager there'd be far less header discussion without this design flaw.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, ostensibly shorties should fix the bolt breaking problem by not warping, for far less money and time than long tubes, even though you don't get much torque upgrade.

Machining the factory cast manifolds after warping also works, but your truck is inoperable while you wait for the manifolds to get milled.

Lots of guys are looking for solutions to exhaust manifold bolt breakage and get into header discussions as a result. I'd wager there'd be far less header discussion without this design flaw.
Cast iron manifolds have always had issues with either breaking bolts,or the actual manifold itself breaking.My Dad used to have a side line business back in the 60's and 70's fixing Fords cast iron FE manifolds that would break if you spit on them,lol.So it's not a new issue,or a Hemi specific issue,GM's LS motors also have manifold issues

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Cast iron manifolds have always had issues with either breaking bolts,or the actual manifold itself breaking.My Dad used to have a side line business back in the 60's and 70's fixing Fords cast iron FE manifolds that would break if you spit on them,lol.So it's not a new issue,or a Hemi specific issue,GM's LS motors also have manifold issues
Huh. None of the many cars we owned had issues. But we didn't keep them for 100,000 miles either, much less 200,000 miles.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great read! Thank you for posting that. I think it needs a sticky.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Huh. None of the many cars we owned had issues. But we didn't keep them for 100,000 miles either, much less 200,000 miles.
Ford P.U's of the 60's and 70's equipped with the FE series engines would break manifolds constantly,and my company 1 ton GM is on it's second set of manifolds,so it's not just a Hemi specific issue.The manifold issues do seem more prevalent in trucks then it does cars though. Kind of makes me wonder why it's seems to be more of an issue in a truck chassis then it does in a car chassis though.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m guessing heat buildup from the heavier chassis working the engine more in a truck causing more heat cycling. Generally the cars engines are not under as much load as the trucks at any given time. I definitely love the feel of the power band after doing the 6.4 manifold with the ARH 1-3/4 long tubes on my truck. It definitely builds more power all the way through the rpm’s

Canadian-Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Shorty (RCSB)
Engine
5.7 L
I've always cut the y-pipe on all my vehicals except one, and that 2001 GMC 5.3L truck had the two only broken manifold bolts I've ever had.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It just so happens that I got my 2013 V6 Procharged Mustang re-dynotuned today. 429 hp, and 357tq, on a Mustang dyno. Not bad, right?

I asked him about dynoing the truck, just for fun. My fun. He’d be making money. He said as long as it fit on his rack, it would work. One of these days, maybe.

Go Shortys!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ****** manifolds that the Engine Masters used, bear little resemblance to the cast iron logs that come stock on our trucks. The ****** manifolds are almost like a shorty. So their manifold run is a bit misleading

But the comparison between the shortys and long tubes looks relevant.

*Edit: Evidently, the name brand of that header is a bad word. So I'll spell it backwards. rekooH.

Tap on the pic. You'll see them a lot better.

Attachments

• 27CE59B4-4ADF-4556-85B2-485BD17607CE.jpeg
    27CE59B4-4ADF-4556-85B2-485BD17607CE.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The ****** manifolds that the Engine Masters used, bear little resemblance to the cast iron logs that come stock on our trucks. The ****** manifolds are almost like a shorty. So their manifold run is a bit misleading

But the comparison between the shortys and long tubes looks relevant.

*Edit: Evidently, the name brand of that header is a bad word. So I'll spell it backwards. rekooH.

I watched an episode of Engine Masters about headers, but don't recall the H*o*o*k*e*r Headers. I do remember them testing with and without a collector, and longer or shorter tubes, and the winning combo was long tubes and collectors.

The H*o*o*k*e*r Headers look like an improvement over the factory cast iron crap. Do you recall what kind of improvements these delivered?