Great day to be driving a Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
A little Pam cooking spray on bumpers and mirrors after they are clean, makes bug removal a snap. Good thing is you can't see the Pam as long as you just put on a real light coat. Silicone lube works too.

Cyborg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Colorado, and drive up through Montana on my way to WA every Summer. I love Montana! So beautiful and wide open. This year will be my first year in my new 2005 1500 SLT, 5.7 Hemi. She really rides nice on the highway and am expecting her performance on a long trip to be excellent. My future mods will mostly be performance oriented but will wait till after a long haul to look into options. If anyone feels like answering, I am wondering what octane gas she will perform best with on a long road trip? 87, 89, 91? I have seen a few diff opinions here on a search. I roll with 87 around town here in Boulder CO, dodging Subarus and Teslas. Thank you.

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Pick your stations carefully, some stations. In Montana may only carry 85. Centex is the worst. In more popular areas. You will find 87, 89 and 91.

I'm tuned so it's 91 for me, 89 in a pinch.

Been in Montana since 2007, have not seen 93 in all my travels. If it's available, I pump 89 minimum but can usually find 91 and most of the time its real gas. No corn.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick your stations carefully, some stations. In Montana may only carry 85. Centex is the worst. In more popular areas. You will find 87, 89 and 91.

Been in Montana since 2007, have not seen 93 in all my travels. If it's available, I pump 89 minimum but can usually find 91 and most of the time its real gas. No corn.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

actually Cenex has the highest quality of gas in Montana and probably any place west of Mandan ND. My buddy ran the bulk plant and he said Cenex has the highest standards of any fuel company and quality was checked all the time and they had to be in compliance. He said Cenex octane was always higher than what it was listed at the pumps. as far as 85 octane that is the standard for higher elevations. 85 octane acts the same as 87 octane does at sea level due to the air being less dense at elevation. I suppose if a person filled up at elevation and then drove to sea level you might see some detonation but in Montana pretty much always at elevation. the reason you don't see 93 is because 93 at sea level is like 91 or 90 at elevation.

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Thanks for that, I'll continue to avoid Cenex. My experience the gas is crap and much better fuel is available. I don't pump 85 cause my engine will ping as I'm tuned and have zero desire to untune the truck due to multiple issues.
Have a great day.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You ever head up to the mountains during the winter? Skiing is fantastic. huge mountain. Big Sky is my second favorite to Snowmass in Aspin. The back side is killer. Was a little rocky last year but had a blast anyway.

We also did a tour of Yellowstone on snowmobiles. Great memories… making me want to go back.

OP
OP
Bigskyroadglide

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I go more local, Big Sky has gone full tourist, but local has not. Snow is just as good, runs are a little less crowded.

I don't ski anymore, just snowboard. Can be on the hill by 10 , home by 2 and still enjoy a day of winter fun without having to drive 3 hours.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Talk about crowded! Especially on the weekends. Once you make it to the top, not so bad. You could wait 30 minutes for a lift at the bottom.
Went to beavercreak this year. Crowds are ridiculous and dangerous.