Groaning on left turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliffmcco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2019 crew cab, 2wd. For about a month I’ve noticed that the truck makes a grinding/ groaning sound when I turn left. There have been a couple of times in which I’ve noticed some type of grease/ fluid splattered in the tire wheel. Has anyone had this issue?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grease in the wheel usually points to CV axle. I'd start there and work around to wheel bearing or brakes.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Well, it’s not a CV axle on a 2WD truck.

Could be a wheel bearing. Just making a SWAG here about the OP’s mechanical experience and suggesting a trip to the shop before you end up on the side of the road.

If you want to DIY it’s not a complicated repair and there’s lots of videos. IF it’s the front, which you didn’t specify.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it’s not a CV axle on a 2WD truck.

Could be a wheel bearing. Just making a SWAG here about the OP’s mechanical experience and suggesting a trip to the shop before you end up on the side of the road.

If you want to DIY it’s not a complicated repair and there’s lots of videos. IF it’s the front, which you didn’t specify.
Well I for sure missed the 2wd part this morning before the coffee.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Is it at high or low speeds?

Groaning could be a software issue. I know there was a TSB for vibration/noise when turning right at low speeds, which is what I was experiencing (TSB 08-137-21).

There might be something out there for turning left or grinding in general. If it's not a software issue then there's something mechanical that needs to be addressed.

With a 2wd the only fluid I can think of down there would come from the brakes or wheel bearing, unless it's coming from the engine compartment.

It's hard to tell from your description if the two items are related.

DaveSharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When does it happen? Do you hear the groaning when you drive alone or your wife is in the right seat?