Guess I need a new PCM (or ECM/ECU since they are all the same right)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HookenNooks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I don't write on this often. In fact I really enjoy reading everyones post, but since I am not a mechanic, I hesitate to respond.

However, as much input as I can get on this would be excellent.

I recently have been throwing the dreaded P0441 code. Felt like I was going to have a heart attack every time I cleared the thing and it would show back up. Keep in mind that in between the code appearing/clearing I would replace something thought to cause the issue. So here goes:

1st - Replaced the Purge Canister under the hood by the driver side head light.
2nd - Replaced a cracked EVAP hose under the truck next to the gas tank.
3rd - Lost my mind when the code reappeared.
4th - Replaced the gas cap.

All to no avail..............then the next thing I know, P0440 along with P0441 show their faces.

So, I dropped the issues for a few weeks and decided to pull the throttle body for a good cleaning. As I am cleaning this, I decided to check all the fuses make sure there is nothing tripped. Then I drop the tweezer things down through the engine bay and notice coolant residue all over the under carriage. I start searching for the leak and notice it is coming from the driver side corner of the radiator. Well, my mind is telling me not to use stop leak as there is nothing really that can be done to fix this.

So I dropped the truck off at the shop this morning to have the radiator replaced along with the hoses for good measure to ensure a cracked hose in the future is negated with the new ones. I asked that they diagnose the emissions trouble which they did. Got a call and was told that they determined that the PCM (or ECU/ECM) is failing to receive/send the information causing the system to throw the codes. They let me know it would be about $750 to replace the unit then around another $100 to have the truck taken to Dodge to have it flashed and programmed.

Like I said before, I am not a mechanic, but I feel like $750 and is enough for me to become one. What's my options. I have a buddy at SourceAutomotive who advised that as the trucks grow in years they are seeing more electrical issues with these trucks.

Have you guys experienced this? What was your solution? Is there a place to pick up a PCM, install it, and take it to Dodge to have the flash done. I am not interested in spending $1000+ once they tack everything on to get this done.

Keep the responses coming!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1btrg2
Sent from my iPhone

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Causes:

Bad vacuum switch
Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
Open in PCM purge command circuit
Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
Faulty purge solenoid
Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
Bad PCM

Fixes:
Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP
Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister
Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
Repair open in PCM purge command circuit
Replace purge Solenoid
Replace vacuum switch
Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or solenoid
Repair resistance in purge connector
Replace PCM

I'd have them check all the above prior to replacing the PCM, if it is the PCM you can get them for around $200 + the $100 flash at the dealer.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The PCM is not to bad to change out, the issue is if you buy one from Dodge they will have to flash it. If you find a local junk yard with the same P/N as your PCM its just plug and play. I doubt its your computer, when the PCM's go out in these trucks they either toss a long list of codes or just acts weird all together. If your looking for some added HP pick up a Super Chips tuner.

OP
OP
HookenNooks

HookenNooks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figured as much. When they were testing the components everything check out except the signal from the PCM.
The tech notes state test evap valve circuit, found high resistance, no signal to evap valve, test for signal at PCM, found no signal out of PCM.

I sent the list that I received above to the shop and the said they checked all that as well and every thing looks fine.

However now the trucks decided to throw. P0443 on top of P0440 and P0441. I am at a loss.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h2g3pp
Sent from my iPhone