Is using alphaobd the same as flashing the computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Vader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two years ago I had a lifter failure which destroyed the cam. The guy that fixed it replaced the lifters and cam. He also did a mds delete using the Diablo tuner that came with the kit and put an 87 octane tune on the truck. Runs like a champ ever since. Haven’t done anything with the tune since. He told me if the computer ever had to be flashed to put it back to stock tune and shut off MDs or the flash would screw up the computer.

I’m now looking at replacing the headlights with Alpharex g2 halogens and replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs. I’ve been told that I need to use alphaobd to change the configuration to LED on the computer. Is this the same as flashing or is it something different? Don’t want to brick the truck. Anyone have any experience in this area?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not the same. Alfa is "toggling" existing settings in modules like the BCM. An engine tune is re-flashing the entire ECM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357