Happy New Year to Me....NOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I agree with above post. You'd have to be a complete idiot to drive without insurance, and a guy with 100k in his account isn't an idiot. He definitely had insurance.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know and that is what I am struggling with - the moral issues. I don’t want this to happen again to someone else and result in a life taken. However, I didn’t want to ruin his life either. I prayed on it and hoped I did the right thing. Normally I am one to burn someone all the way down, but I was trying to be “nice” and look at it from a different angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, for any alcoholic to get their life together, it has to be completely ruined.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow, $100,000 in his account and no insurance.

Father Of Four

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have asked for more. 100k & you ask for 15k [emoji23] I would have charged a convenience fee. Would have been 5k fine+jail+lawyer fees, etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You just never know... that might be a one time occurrence and hopefully it never happens again. Either way we can say we would of did this or did that but none of us have been in that exact situation. Either way if the funds clear I think at the end of the day you can get your truck fixed at a reputable body shop and still have some money to throw back in your bank account.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I can understand what you did and why you did it. I just don’t think you thought it out. Just pray to God nobody ends up dead as a result, because that would be a lot for you to bear on your conscience for the rest of your life. I say this because I have had a family member killed by a drunk driver. I have zero tolerance for it. Also, since this is now on a public forum, if there was anything to happen that could be proved, you would be in serious trouble if not from the law from victims family members in a civil lawsuit. Again I know why you did what you did, and I’m sure it will make you think long and hard about what you would do next time. I hope you have a safe and happy new year, sorry about your truck.

You can’t just try to put this on curlyp’s conscience. He could have called the cops and the next time the guy was out of jail he could have gone to the bar, got drunk, and drove drunk again illegally and killed someone.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this time it was a non injury accident with a drunk driver....

What about next time?

In my mind, this guy with 100k in savings has no DL or insurance because his privilege has been revoked.

How will it feel if his face pops up on local news as hitting and killing someone while drunk driving with revoked license from previous DUIs??

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Some of you people are a but much. You absolutely know no details other then "he smelled like alcohol", & " he said he was at the bar drinking".

He could have had a half a shot. This is in Ohio, ice could have caused this whole thing. No calibrated breathilizer so nobody knows if this guy was legally drunk. But a thread like this is bound to get people going. Look around, supposedly 1 in 10 drivers are driving impaired.

But seriously, ever see the show on animal planet, "North Woods Law" those game wardens are constantly letting people go that have admitted to drinking. And some have been arrested & taken to local PD for testing. But seen 20 people let go, driving boat, vehicle, ATV etc.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
:popcorn:

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I think a lot of you guys need to chill. He did what he did and most of us don’t know what we would have done in that situation. Most of you going on about how he should have called the cops blah blah blah. Since you guys are so concerned about that why are none of you guys telling him that he shouldn’t even have chased down the guy at all. Since you guys all wanna be politically right then he shouldn’t even have gone after the guy at all just called the cops right there and that’s it. Cuz In reality who knows who he was cashing down and what else worse could have happened. So he could have just called the cops without going after him and hope for the best. And then what? Good chance that the cops wouldn’t even have caught the guy at all and here is the OP with a smashed up truck and all on him to fix. So he took the money to fix up his truck, better than not getting anything at all out of the ordeal.
Stop trying to hang this over the OPs head and make him feel guilty about the whole thing

1stRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Curlyup, I am glad you are ok. I think you acted commendably. All the "Monday morning quaterback" comments, some of them are sound comments, are just that. No one knows what they would do in the situation until put in that situation. Your decision has been made, and barring any shenanigans by the perpetrator, should be a good one. You acted by your conscience and information of the situation. That's what we do on a daily basis. I hope all is well for the rest of your New Year.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of you people are a but much. You absolutely know no details other then "he smelled like alcohol", & " he said he was at the bar drinking".

Not true.

1)He fled the scene.

2)“He begged and pleaded with me not to call the cops as he would end up in jail...”

Sounds to me like the guy knew his goose was cooked.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Not true.

1)He fled the scene.

2)“He begged and pleaded with me not to call the cops as he would end up in jail...”

Sounds to me like the guy knew his goose was cooked.

Yeah...... so ?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like the 15k will more then cover the damages. The main thing is you're not injured. Trucks are replaceable.........

911ems

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually that’s not true, if you know someone is drinking & driving you can also be liable.

False, my wife is a LEO and you do not have any liability to report. Yea you might be a **** bag for not helping prevent a situation, but you are not liable for someone else’s mistakes.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess you’ve never had an uninsured drunk driver T-bone a loved one on a city street at 50-55, flee, caught later and found to have 4 prior convictions, loved one needs surgery and car is complete loss. On the bright side the driver finally was taken off the roads and put in penitentiary.

If this guy fled, he was guilty of more than no Insurance, especially if has that much bankroll. No DL, No insurance, begging not to call the cops or go to jail. In my mind, this guy has more than 1 prior DUI and he knows he is going to jail. That or he is muling narcotics in his vehicle.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
False, my wife is a LEO and you do not have any liability to report. Yea you might be a **** bag for not helping
Maybe in Ohio, Illinois is a different story, I had 2 family members that were threatened with charges for knowingly allowing someone to drink & drive.

My wife on her (ex) husband
My aunt on my uncle

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Maybe in Ohio, Illinois is a different story, I had 2 family members that were threatened with charges for knowingly allowing someone to drink & drive.

My wife on her (ex) husband
My aunt on my uncle
Totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley