Happy New Year to Me....NOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While everyone has an opinion on if the OP should have made the decision he did, what is done is done and the issue comes down to the damage and if $15,000 would cover it. I can tell you that a couple of years ago I has similar damage done to my RAM. It occurred when I was coming alongside of a Ford 150 pulling a open utility trailer in the lane to my left. Driver decided to move into my lane and although I got on the horn and the brakes the wheel and fender of the trailer hit my driver and back door.

The cost to have it repaired was less then $4,000. So from a dollar standpoint the OP can not only get the repair done and money to spare it won't show up that the vehicle was ever damaged so wont affect future trade in value.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You’re both ok, the driver at fault paid up, and a lot of paperwork avoided. Not too bad a start for 2018. Curly, hope it all works out with repairs, costs etc.. Keep us posted.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Get proper legal advise in your area, even if the check goes through and you get the money, you should still cover your basis in case other guy changes his mind and reports that deposit as fraud.

If he reports check as fraud, you won't get any money and you'll end up chasing him to his state trying to sue him, and it'll be a huge headache and you may not receive anything.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get proper legal advise in your area, even if the check goes through and you get the money, you should still cover your basis in case other guy changes his mind and reports that deposit as fraud.

If he reports check as fraud, you won't get any money and you'll end up chasing him to his state trying to sue him, and it'll be a huge headache and you may not receive anything.

There was no fraud involved, the other driver came to a business agreement with the OP. The only way fraud could ever happen would be if the OP took the money and then collected insurance funds in addition.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
There was no fraud involved, the other driver came to a business agreement with the OP. The only way fraud could ever happen would be if the OP took the money and then collected insurance funds in addition.
It doesn't matter. The other guy can just cancel that check or come up with any fraud reason for his bank to stop that check, and it'll take forever to chase him in his state to get anything out of him in court.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what was the estimate to fix the damages and are the funds from the check still available?
I'm really hoping you make out on this btw, gutsy.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well today will be the tell tale, if the money clears woohoo! I have a very hard time believing that the police in whatever state, jurisdiction you are in are going to take the time to scour the internet, come across this thread, decipher that it is you and throw cuffs on you.. Wow I actually just gave myself a good laugh!

Welcome to the internet, where everyone knows better than you.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well today will be the tell tale, if the money clears woohoo! I have a very hard time believing that the police in whatever state, jurisdiction you are in are going to take the time to scour the internet, come across this thread, decipher that it is you and throw cuffs on you.. Wow I actually just gave myself a good laugh!

Welcome to the internet, where everyone knows better than you.

The funny part about people saying you can be liable is who are you to determine who is drunk? That is why there are cops to determine if you're impaired. Citizens on this forum apparently are all trained officers.

You have absolutely no liability in this issue.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: the body shop we use is closed today - they took an extra day off for the holiday. [emoji20] I’ll be there first thing tomorrow morning. The good news, the truck drove fine (from what I can tell). I don’t think my rear suspension is messed up, but I’m not a mechanic. His suv did break off my center cap on my wheel though![emoji35]

I went directly to the Chase branch and spoke with a personal banker. Funds are still there and available to cover the check. Due to the holiday, the depositing of the check will process tonight at which my bank will contact Chase to request the funds. The funds should then be pulled into a holding period until the bank exchange is complete. Possibly Thursday the banker said.

I spoke with an auto attorney and as long as we both agreed to not call the cops and handle it ourselves we are fine. Unless there was an injury or either one of us wanted a cop to come for a report, then one wasn’t needed. The attorney told me many people settle auto accidents without the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
so far good news. I'm pretty sure in PA if both cars are drive able, you don't have to call the cops.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I'd say all in all, not a bad deal for you. Obviously pending the estimate. But I can't see it topping $6k? I was even thinking less than that.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now you’ll be up and logging into your bank account at 0400, 0500, 0600, etc... checking your bank account balance. lol

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would've called the cops for the simple fact he tried to get away. That would've been enough for me to want to cause him bodily harm. Plus, you letting him go kept him on the streets to possibly hurt or kill another innocent person.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I would've called the cops for the simple fact he tried to get away. That would've been enough for me to want to cause him bodily harm. Plus, you letting him go kept him on the streets to possibly hurt or kill another innocent person.
I look at it like this, basically the guy paid his way out of a DUI (or drive suspended/no insurance). I'm not judging Here, the OP feels like he did the "noble" thing in letting him off the hook.

I'm doubting the OP would have just let him go, if he hadn't come up with $15k.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
I look at it like this, basically the guy paid his way out of a DUI (or drive suspended/no insurance). I'm not judging Here, the OP feels like he did the "noble" thing in letting him off the hook.

I'm doubting the OP would have just let him go, if he hadn't come up with $15k.

Obviously not then he’d be stuck fixing his truck himself.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I would've called the cops for the simple fact he tried to get away.

Same here. My reaction to that would have been 911. Then of course you'd find out he had no insurance. People like that guy SUCK.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Obviously not then he’d be stuck fixing his truck himself.

Right, and for that reason I don't blame him, however it was then strictly about the money, not a moral obligation to get someone off the road who had been drinking and driving, struck someone, and fled the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.