Hard Starting & Abrupt, Violent Low Gear Shifting In A 5,300 Mile 2019 Cummins High Output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Here is the brief history of this recent issue:

2/21/21

Truck running like a dog but engine data is normal and there are no warning messages. Hard to start w/ lots of vibration while cranking.

In driving up through the low gears, it shifts really HARD and SLAMS into most of the lower gears. Engine is noticeably much louder but when I place it back in neutral or park, it is quiet again.

1) Regeneration of the Particulate filter needed? So, even though there were no messages in the dash board, I drove at high speed about 25 miles, and the truck ran great, but the fuel economy screen showed diminished mpg as I was driving 65 -70. Once back, very hard, abrupt shifting in lower gears.

2) Bad fuel? I went to Shell where I filled up the day before and squirted some of the fuel from the same
pump into a paper towel and smelled it. It was Diesel, and they just had their tanks replaced a few months ago, so I always fill up there.

2/22/ 21

Here is my experience from an 80-mile round trip I made on this date: In the DPF information menu, where it shows 0 - 100% DPF, there is no reading at all. "Oil life," "fuel filter life," etc show information but no DPF info.

The vehicle was still hard to start (2 – 3 sequences of 5 – 10 second cranking). Lots of vibration. Again, very abrupt and hard, SLAMING shifts through the lower gears. High speed driving during 80 miles OK

Correspondence w/ Service Advisor Robert Carter:

It will show you it is performing a DPF regen if you are on that screen in the cluster. The hard shifting is normal characteristic of that transmission (shifts smoother when hauling loads).”

My response to above. Yes, after purchasing the truck I read in the 2500/ 3500 Owners Handbook to expect hard shifts in the Aisin, but the handbook states: “one may experience that only in a brand-new vehicle.” I have had my truck for about 13 months and there are 5,400 miles on it. Never did notice the hard shifting the Handbook spoke of, until NOW. Odometer reading at time of sale was 50 miles

Recent anomalies

3/1/21

Truck started normally early Monday morning, after preheating, on just a couple cranks. I and I let it warm up. Ran up to normal operating temperatures. Normal operation. Nothing noted

Later on Monday morning (2- 3 hours later), truck AGAIN had difficulty starting. Starter ran 5 seconds and would not start and I released the starter. 2nd attempt cranked for a bit less than 5 seconds and once started I noted oil and water temps were both about 110 f. Ran normally.

This time, normal, smooth shifting, on both excursions.

Last edited: