Hardwire LED Light Strip using Trailer Plug Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I'm sure that there is a forum somewhere on here, but I am unable to find it. The one that I did find was for an older model and the wiring to the trailer plug was completely different. I am wanting to hard wire an LED Tail/Brake/Blinker/Reverse Strip to my 2015 Ram 1500 using the wiring for the trailer plug. I currently have the strip plugged into my 4 pin trailer plug, but I am wanting a cleaner look. I know that many people have done this, and I'm sure that it is a relatively simple thing to do. I seem to be having trouble finding a wiring diagram to know what wires on the truck I need to connect my LED strip to. I suppose I could just use a light tester to test each wire, but it would be great if someone who has already done this could tell me which wires I will need to use. Thank you all for your help!

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure that there is a forum somewhere on here, but I am unable to find it. The one that I did find was for an older model and the wiring to the trailer plug was completely different. I am wanting to hard wire an LED Tail/Brake/Blinker/Reverse Strip to my 2015 Ram 1500 using the wiring for the trailer plug. I currently have the strip plugged into my 4 pin trailer plug, but I am wanting a cleaner look. I know that many people have done this, and I'm sure that it is a relatively simple thing to do. I seem to be having trouble finding a wiring diagram to know what wires on the truck I need to connect my LED strip to. I suppose I could just use a light tester to test each wire, but it would be great if someone who has already done this could tell me which wires I will need to use. Thank you all for your help!

Does it work plugged into the 4 pin?

four-prong-trailer-wiring-4-prong-trailer-wiring-diagram-new-7-pin-trailer-plug-wiring-prong-trailer-wiring-diagram.jpg

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd definitely go with the curt T over splicing. You can never get a good seal when splicing wires 2 into 1 and corrosion is inevitable

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with the others, go with the Curt T-harness. It is so much cleaner and NO splicing of wires.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curt adapter only!!
I have been using one for 2 years on my 17 with NO issues and completely hidden behind bumper
Sorry for the crappy pic...lol

Screenshot_20181207-171807_Photos.jpg

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Curt adapter! Using on mine to provide power for bed lights, no cutting factory wiring necessary!

OP
OP
Jalynsdad

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
This might help, i believe this plugs into your trailer connector on the backside
View media item 28471

This is exactly what I needed. Yes, this does plug into the back of the trailer connector. I had it pulled out last weekend but ended up just putting it back together because I needed to pull a different truck into my shop. Hopefully I will be able to get this done this weekend. When I bought my truck it had tinted tail lights (not LED) so I am constantly worrying about people not being able to see my brake lights/blinkers. This will help ease my mind a bit! Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Jalynsdad

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Don't hard wire anything use this. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56584 . You just unplug the harness behind the bumper, plug the round connectors in either side, and plug your led strip into the other plug. It worked great on my 2015 and a lot of members have done this as well.
Thanks for the info! The only issue that I see with this is I would still have to hard wire the reverse lights as the strip has a 4 prong plug with the reverse wire not connected to it. But this does seem like a much simpler install than splicing into 5 different wires. I'll have to see if my wife will let me spend the $50 to order this part!

OP
OP
Jalynsdad

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Curt adapter only!!
I have been using one for 2 years on my 17 with NO issues and completely hidden behind bumper
Sorry for the crappy pic...lol

View attachment 185250

Your tinted tail lights seem to let out more light than mine do. Did you upgrade the bulbs or anything in your tail lights?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your tinted tail lights seem to let out more light than mine do. Did you upgrade the bulbs or anything in your tail lights?

No, not yet. Still have oem bulbs in them. I have leds but haven't got around to them and alpha obd yet

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks for the info! The only issue that I see with this is I would still have to hard wire the reverse lights as the strip has a 4 prong plug with the reverse wire not connected to it. But this does seem like a much simpler install than splicing into 5 different wires. I'll have to see if my wife will let me spend the $50 to order this part!
Mine has the reverse light but I don't remember what I did to make it work. I'm pretty sure it can be bought cheaper, that link is to Curts web site and that is MSRP. Amazon has it for 30 bucks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The only issue that I see with this is I would still have to hard wire the reverse lights as the strip has a 4 prong plug with the reverse wire not connected to it. But this does seem like a much simpler install than splicing into 5 different wires. I'll have to see if my wife will let me spend the $50 to order this part!
Buy a trailer five flat pigtail and rewire the light bar plug.
CURT 58550 Vehicle-Side and Trailer-Side 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EOV2X0/
It's cheaper on Amazon.
CURT 56584 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did exactly the same thing as "crash68" did. Works great and you don't have to splice into any of the truck's wire's. The truck shop that I purchased my light bar suggested this and actually gave me the plug.

OP
OP
Jalynsdad

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Buy a trailer five flat pigtail and rewire the light bar plug.
CURT 58550 Vehicle-Side and Trailer-Side 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EOV2X0/
It's cheaper on Amazon.
CURT 56584 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/
Awesome! Appreciate the links! I bought an LED strip for my truck and my wifes so I'll have to buy 2 adapters. That $20 savings will help out a lot! I don't know why I didn't think to just buy a 5 pin trailer harness! I'll probably hold off on ordering anything until I get my bonus check in a couple of weeks because there are a few other things that I want to order for my truck (It'll be easier to get my wife to let me spend the money).

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I just looked on eBay and you can get one for $30 (and yes it's a buck more than on Amazon, but I prefer ordering from eBay). I just ordered one for my RAM...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93