Has anyone followed the O5 Fob programming procedure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was going to program a couple new key fobs. The procedure in the owner's manual seems simple enough to follow, but they do warn you that once you make a change, it erases all existing fobs. Just wondering if that includes the fob you use to enter the programming mode or not. Anyone know?

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was going to program a couple new key fobs. The procedure in the owner's manual seems simple enough to follow, but they do warn you that once you make a change, it erases all existing fobs. Just wondering if that includes the fob you use to enter the programming mode or not. Anyone know?
You need to use the original factory fob to program any new ones and do all the others at the same time even though they are already working. I can't stress enough that you need to use the original factory supplied key fob and not one that you've already programmed. If the instructions in the owner's manual don't work, check on line. There are lots of slightly varying ways to program new fobs. I struggled with the owner's manual and then the wife went on line and tried something different and it worked on all the non-factory fobs. She still flaunts it over me haha. Good luck, Smokey

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I should add, if you don't have the original fob, you might have to go to a dealer and buy one before you can program your after market fobs.
After programming 3 after market fobs, one for her, one for me, and a spare in case a battery dies, I put the original in my safe deposit box so nothing ever happens to it haha.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have an original fob that still works. So you are saying when I use the original fob to open the programming window, to follow that same procedure for that original fob also?

Turn on the key, put on seat belt.
Use original fob to open the programming window.
Press buttons on new fobs so they are recognized.
Press buttons on old fob so it is recognized.
Turn off the key.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I not sure about your 05 but my 04, I bought a thing from advance made by doorman that plugged directly into my obd2 port. I used two new fobs from amazon and followed the doorman directions and have never had an issue. All i needed was an ignition key. No dealer at all. took me three minutes to program two fobs.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I not sure about your 05 but my 04, I bought a thing from advance made by doorman that plugged directly into my obd2 port. I used two new fobs from amazon and followed the doorman directions and have never had an issue. All i needed was an ignition key. No dealer at all. took me three minutes to program two fobs.
Thanks Buck, that's good info to know. Smokey