Has anyone removed their front lower grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to remove the lower grille...but can't get this freak'n thing off. I bought a new one to replace the original one that has a couple holes in it from wiring that used to go to lights on a bull bar. I found one video on youtube that says you just grab the outer edge of it and pull it towards the motor to remove it. But, the video was also replacing the bumper and they did it when the front bumper was already off. I've tried all sorts of stuff and still can't get it to come off. Any suggestions? Here's a pic of the piece I'm trying to remove....

Ram Lower Grille.JPG

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

They are a bunch of little clips. I had to use a little pry bar when I replaced my bumper.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They are a bunch of little clips. I had to use a little pry bar when I replaced my bumper.

Thnx for the response! Yeah, there's a ton of little clips around that piece. I tried pushing each clip as I was trying to pull the piece off...tried some trim removal tools.... Still can't get it even to seem like it's gonna come off. Did you take yours off when you had the bumper off.....or while the bumper was still on the truck? I hate to have to remove the front bumper to replace this piece.

hardcharger77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this. Agree they’re a total pain.

I had the truck on ramps and could sit up behind the bumper. Started in the center top, push down the clip and pull on the insert. You want to pull it just past the point where it is clipped. Keep pulling but move over a clip, you’ll be able to pull the insert a little further. Keep going across one side then the other.

Getting it back in was a whole other treat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I had the truck on ramps and could sit up behind the bumper. Started in the center top, push down the clip and pull on the insert. You want to pull it just past the point where it is clipped. Keep pulling but move over a clip, you’ll be able to pull the insert a little further. Keep going across one side then the other.

Thank you! I tried exactly what you said to do.....but, I guess didn't pull on the insert hard enough. It literally felt like if I pulled any harder, I was gonna break something. I'll try again tomorrow. Thnx!

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Any tips for putting the new one in?

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
[/QUOTE] I hate to have to remove the front bumper to replace this piece.[/QUOTE]
Yes sir, did have the bumper off.

hardcharger77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any tips for putting the new one in?

I was installing tow hooks, so that made it harder. Pushed it through first in the middle and back as far as it would go there. Then just had to push real hard on the ends (used a nylon tool) to get it in. It is pliant enough and so does the bumper fascia to make it work, but sure makes you nervous.

Once it is in you have to get it aligned with the clips from the back and use a fair bit of force on each one to get them to snap in.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve done it twice now and the guys are right. Start in the center and work your way out. The problem is when you get to the sides the bumper brackets are in the way. You kind of have to pull the bumper cover out towards the front as you push in the insert. It will eventually break away. I think I did end up pulling it out through the front and kind of twisting and turning it to get it out. I believe I also put it back in from the front. You’ll have to kind of pull the front bumper cover forward again to get the sides in. Once they’re in it’s a little wiggling but they will pop in. Trim tools help and you will pinch your hand or fingers several times. The tabs are easy to see from the backside/inside of the bumper looking up from the ground and small screwdrivers can also help pry the tabs out of their holes. It just takes some patience and lots of swearing. Lol. Good luck.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! I was able to remove and replace it today. Was definitely a pain in the ass....but all your tips helped! It's nice to have a nice dark black one on there again with no holes in it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963