Header Bolts and Gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZMBankston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I have an 07 5.7 and my header bolts have broken loose and i want to replace them. I have heard a lot about remflex and i was wondering if the remflex 6011 was the right gasket? Also I would like to replace all of the header bolts as i can see 2 of them are already broken. Any recommendations on what brand i should get as far as header studs go, I dont want them to just snap again over time.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason they break is they rust but you need to fix your manifolds they warp thats the real reason the bolts break I usually use a belt sander with 60 grit to sand em flat again and then I go to my local tractor supply and buy new grade 8 bolts.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason they break is they rust but you need to fix your manifolds they warp thats the real reason the bolts break I usually use a belt sander with 60 grit to sand em flat again and then I go to my local tractor supply and buy new grade 8 bolts.
Not necessarily, it would depend on the region you live in. What you have are two different metals (aluminum heads, iron exhaust manifold) with significantly different thermal expansion rates. Over time, they end up fatiguing the bolts (which are not grade 8) and they fail. I wouldn't put grade 8 bolts in, you're wasting your money in my opinion. If it is in your budget, get a good set of ceramic-coated headers and a quality set of header bolts, they're less prone to breaking the bolts. This is just my opinion, take it as you will.

OP
OP
ZMBankston

ZMBankston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Not necessarily, it would depend on the region you live in. What you have are two different metals (aluminum heads, iron exhaust manifold) with significantly different thermal expansion rates. Over time, they end up fatiguing the bolts (which are not grade 8) and they fail. I wouldn't put grade 8 bolts in, you're wasting your money in my opinion. If it is in your budget, get a good set of ceramic-coated headers and a quality set of header bolts, they're less prone to breaking the bolts. This is just my opinion, take it as you will.
But what brand header bolts just the dorman or something else?

OP
OP
ZMBankston

ZMBankston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
i could do headers but might just do it later in time i just didn’t know what brand bolts to get like if the dorman replacement ones will break like the factory ones or not

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better the bolts break than to pull the threads out of the head. Dorman would work, or OEM. Grade 8 bolts without fixing the manifolds would be not a good combo in my opinion.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you're not going to upgrade to shorty or long tube headers, then make dang sure you properly fix the stock manifolds before you just go and replace the gaskets and bolts.

You're really expending a lot of time and energy to do a hack job with little to no benefits.
Get the manifolds planed at a local shop before you reinstall them.
Very little cost and time to do this, however, a lot of savings to be had.

Kind of like of like bagging it for a night out (or in) and then just holding it in your hand.
Do it right, or don't do it at all.... My opinion only...