Headers or manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slabhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it sounds like I might be in the broken manifold bolt group on my 03 2500. I don’t feel comfortable just replacing the bolts and I don’t want to spend any money on the factory manifolds to repair them so, my question is who has replaced the stock crap with headers or aftermarket manifolds? What brand did you use? Have you experienced any problems with change such as developing exhaust leaks. I saw a YouTube video of a guy pushing a aftermarket “better than stock” manifold. Anybody got any information/experience with these?Also, what happens if I don’t address this problem right away? Besides getting worse will it lead to additional problems?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
it sounds like I might be in the broken manifold bolt group on my 03 2500. I don’t feel comfortable just replacing the bolts and I don’t want to spend any money on the factory manifolds to repair them so, my question is who has replaced the stock crap with headers or aftermarket manifolds? What brand did you use? Have you experienced any problems with change such as developing exhaust leaks. I saw a YouTube video of a guy pushing a aftermarket “better than stock” manifold. Anybody got any information/experience with these?Also, what happens if I don’t address this problem right away? Besides getting worse will it lead to additional problems?
There are several members of the forum here that have removed the factory manifolds and replaced them with either shorty headers or long tube headers. I removed the stock manifolds on my 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 truck before I reached 300 miles. The original set I used was from FlowTech. I have run with the DNA Motoring long tubes and I have a set of Kooks Headers on it now.

For the broken exhaust manifold bolts, the longer the engine is run with the broken bolts the harder it will be to extract them. The bolts are steel and the heads are aluminum. These two different metals can and will create corrosion and with the exhaust gases making it past the gaskets it just glues them in. I've had customers come in that had driven their trucks for years with broken manifold bolts. Some of them were so bad that I had to heli-coil every single bolt hole on the heads. I had one that was so bad I ended up replacing both cylinder heads because the corrosion had eaten into the galley underneath the rocker covers. Those are the worst case scenarios.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes with kooks cat'd Y. Fit, finish, quality, sound, performance, shipping, parts etc etc all top notch. Couple years now I think of daily driving and not a single issue, and they still look like you could lick em brand new [emoji851]
Get them through our local gotexhaust member here [emoji1305]
4406195c03bbe9fff03f09a327b30c8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jdrake73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
can shorty's be installed on a 2500? Ive read both sides saying they can and cannot be installed due to clearance issues.