Heater help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
AS long as it is cold outside, there are 2 things that you may be able to do

First of all, does your center stack, ( radio bezel ) look like this ?

https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2019/01/03/190103020843968367.jpg

If it does, belo the volume knob, you will see A/C & below that an image of a pickup truck. When you press the pickup truck, it closes off the outside air from entering the cab, then the air inside the cab just recirculates.

If that does not work, as temporary fix:
Open the hood & remove the metal panel that the windshield wipers stick out of.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/q61bWn.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/egYeDd.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/SeaROZ.jpg

Right behind the air cleaner box, next to the hood hinge, you should notice a hole in the deepest part of that cavity. Take some duct tape & cover that hole, that hole is the fresh air inlet.
If your truck is similar to mine, the same hole on the drivers side is already covered.

Good Luck

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AS long as it is cold outside, there are 2 things that you may be able to do

First of all, does your center stack, ( radio bezel ) look like this ?

https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2019/01/03/190103020843968367.jpg

If it does, belo the volume knob, you will see A/C & below that an image of a pickup truck. When you press the pickup truck, it closes off the outside air from entering the cab, then the air inside the cab just recirculates.

If that does not work, as temporary fix:
Open the hood & remove the metal panel that the windshield wipers stick out of.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/q61bWn.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/egYeDd.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/SeaROZ.jpg

Right behind the air cleaner box, next to the hood hinge, you should notice a hole in the deepest part of that cavity. Take some duct tape & cover that hole, that hole is the fresh air inlet.
If your truck is similar to mine, the same hole on the drivers side is already covered.

Good Luck
Not at all. I have this one. ae86a12d344e36aa0ad378f90c72e6e3.jpg

Cliff

Reactions: U&A

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try bleeding the system, maybe you have air in there. Then check the bearing on the water pump by wiggling the fan. If there is movement in the fan the water pump is going out.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try bleeding the system, maybe you have air in there. Then check the bearing on the water pump by wiggling the fan. If there is movement in the fan the water pump is going out.
I don't think it's engine related coolant temp is running normal. It's something at the dash. Thanks for the help. I'll try the reset today.

Cliff

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if this will work on a 2017, but if you do not have automatic temp control you can try a calibration, at least it costs nothing to try:

HVAC Manual Recalibration below

With the vehicle running set the HVAC blower to low

-Press and hold the recirculation button on the HVAC Control Head for 10 seconds and release.

-Now press and hold the recirculation button on the HVAC Control Head again until the recirculation LED begins to flash, then release.

-The system will perform a brief recalibration and reset faults
Ok, I tried this, no joy[emoji3525] It never blinked any lights.

Cliff

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Does the blower seem to be working when you turn from low to high & back ?
If the answer is no, pull the lower glove compartment & check for paper & plastic bags.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the blower seem to be working when you turn from low to high & back ?
If the answer is no, pull the lower glove compartment & check for paper & plastic bags.
The blower works fine, just not very hot. The doors open and close and redirect air as they should. It's not a flow issue.

Cliff

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One more update. Today I tried the suggested reset methods but nothing seemed to happen. Then I took it out for a drive. The outside temp was 28° and before long I was turning the heat down. The sun was out and bright so that may have helped but it seems that the heater was working better. I am not sure what I really did but if it continues to work I'm not complaining.

Cliff

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm - I jut went out and tried it on mine and it worked, of course mine is a 2010, maybe it changed between the years.
Do you have the same control in the picture I posted? If so maybe I did something wrong. I've been looking for a video but nothing so far.

I do have heat working but more heat on the passenger side now. When I direct it to the dash everything is hot but when directed to the floor driver's side is not so much. 100°+ on passenger 88-89° on driver.

Cliff

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Do you have the same control in the picture I posted? If so maybe I did something wrong. I've been looking for a video but nothing so far.

I do have heat working but more heat on the passenger side now. When I direct it to the dash everything is hot but when directed to the floor driver's side is not so much. 100°+ on passenger 88-89° on driver.

Cliff

Yes, exact same control. Mine has been the same way since I bought it, pass side has always been hotter than driver, I never could fix it, and I've been told more than once it's normal for these. I ended up sticking a piece of packing foam in the register on the side outlet to cut down on the airflow so my wife didn't melt.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, exact same control. Mine has been the same way since I bought it, pass side has always been hotter than driver, I never could fix it, and I've been told more than once it's normal for these. I ended up sticking a piece of packing foam in the register on the side outlet to cut down on the airflow so my wife didn't melt.
In looking for the answer the one that keeps coming up is a clogged heater core. I don't see how a clogged core can affect only one side but I've seen several that said it worked for them. Maybe I'll try flushing it later.

The other answer was a door not closing all the way or a bad actuator. I guess that's the next thing to check.

Cliff

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's engine related coolant temp is running normal. It's something at the dash. Thanks for the help. I'll try the reset today.

Cliff
Actually, you would see a fluctuation on the temp gauge when driving and an increase/decrease in heat if the water pump is going bad. I would start looking at the blend doors. There is 4 of them I believe, 2 behind the radio, one behind the glove box and one on the firewall behind the dash (hope its not this one cuz the dash has to come out)

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, you would see a fluctuation on the temp gauge when driving and an increase/decrease in heat if the water pump is going bad. I would start looking at the blend doors. There is 4 of them I believe, 2 behind the radio, one behind the glove box and one on the firewall behind the dash (hope its not this one cuz the dash has to come out)
I figure it's a blend door too. The heat is there, just not being spread evenly. I read that the door that works for the zone system is physically there in the non-zone system just not hooked up to function and it may have moved. I have been trying to find a picture that shows what door does what but I haven't found one yet. As long as the temps don't get back down below 30 there is no rush. If it becomes a major fix I do have an extended warranty.

Cliff

Matt Luken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar problem with my 2018 6.4 2500 tradesman. Coolant was below low. I asked the service tech at the dealer to check on it at the oil change. He did not. Suddenly the heater quit blowing hot air. Checked the reservoir and it was almost empty. No sign of leak anywhere. Asked the dealer why they had not checked the level on the oil change when asked and I got a dumb look. Any way I filled to high level and had to burp the system. Which took a couple of try's. I then had to recalibrate the blend doors. Which I learned how to do through this forum. Thanks! All is well. I am keeping a a close look on the coolant level. I do get a periodic smell of antifreeze but no leaks. Dealer wants to do a pressure check next time its in for service. Some threads have talked about this. 55k for mileage.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can burp a 4th Gen HEMI when the engine is not running
At the left top of the water pump, there is a plug
That plug is the Air Bleeder Plug
Sometimes that Plug has something blocking it, like bracket or brace.
In that case, just to the right a few inches, there is a fitting with 2 wires attached to it, that fitting can be also be used as an Air Bleeder.

watch this

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Calibrating earlier 4Gen Rams
It also shows what happens when you push the buttons

He is wrong about another Actuator being behind the whole HVAC unit, only the Mega Cab has that.
There are 2 actuators directly behind the HVAC Control Knobs, you have to remove the radio bezel to watch them work