Heater hose filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grtrnd1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Own a 13, 1500. For the last couple.of years I've dealt with the notorious cold air on the driver side. I've ran CLR through the heater core a few times and squeezed another few months out of it but it's at the point I'm getting ready to get the heater core changed. I thought I saw a few guys using a filter setup on their heater hose and was wondering how it's been working out and if it's worth it? Anyone been using this setup? I've found a few online that have 100 mesh screens and 140 mesh screens. Want to get this thing.ordered before it goes into the shop. Thanks for any help.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can try reversing the heater hoses and leave them that way after another flush.
I have had luck doing that on older cars.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Own a 13, 1500. For the last couple.of years I've dealt with the notorious cold air on the driver side. I've ran CLR through the heater core a few times and squeezed another few months out of it but it's at the point I'm getting ready to get the heater core changed. I thought I saw a few guys using a filter setup on their heater hose and was wondering how it's been working out and if it's worth it? Anyone been using this setup? I've found a few online that have 100 mesh screens and 140 mesh screens. Want to get this thing.ordered before it goes into the shop. Thanks for any help.
Take a look down in the HD section,i think a few of the guys with 6.4's in their Heavy Duty trucks have experimented with a coolant filter.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have confirmed your blend doors are working and you already flushed the core and it didnt work. The only fix is new heater core have done at least 10 4th gens now its a big job but honestly not to bad people make it sound a whole lot worse then it is.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, that's a good question. That's a fine filter. Are those high temp filter assemblies? If you're just looking for a temporary installation, till you know you've cleaned out the cooling system, either will work fine. It can't hurt for the finer filter. If you're looking for a permenant install, probably the courser filter ...as I suspect there'd be some flow loss (potentially). Water flows through the heater core pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Take you truck to a good rad shop and have the whole thing professionally flushed. Put in the new Heater core, and this time have the same shop flush and change your coolant more often, like every 5 years. I know it says the coolant is good for ten years, but if you are getting crud in your system, clearly it wasn't. Coolant is a very often overlooked item and is the cause of many heater, thermostat, and other issues.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You said cold on the driver's side, so is the passenger side hot? Have you confirmed the blend doors ARE working?

OP
OP
G

Grtrnd1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blend doors are working. Run CLR through the heater core with a continuous flow for a while 2 different times and had heat on both sides for a few months then slowly started losing heat and now it's totally cold. Definitely heater core plugged up.