Hello and some general Mod questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeeperOfAcheron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l V8
Hello everyone. New to the forum and new to being a RAM owner.

In starting my research, I figured I would start her. I do plan on adding some small performance modifications to the truck to bump up efficiency and horsepower but also do not want it to pull away too much from comfort and towing capabilities. If I could share a few initial thoughts/questions, I would love some member feedback and suggestions.

CPU/Chip - I have considered both a throttle chip for a custom tune chip. Throttle response (pedal commander) seems like an easy install and boost in mpg and horsepower. But when adding other mods (below) would it be better to go for a custom tune type of chip (Diablo Sport inTune)?

Cold Air Intakes - Seems like a simple install and performance gain. Suggestions on brand?

Exhaust - Cat back I assume is best for easier install and non-voiding of warranty? Maybe MBRP or others that still give it a nice throaty sound but not obnoxiously loud? Assuming there are kits that use factory hangers etc?

Tires and rims - Current they have 22" wheels on it. Tasteful, but not sure thats as efficient if I want. Will be looking into options.

Thats about all I think that would be needed IMO to open it up more, give it some nice sounds, but not fully pull away from being a good run around hauling truck.

But I would love to hear what others have or going to be doing. 2016 Ram Hemi 5.7

Thanks and glad to be here!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

In starting my research, I figured I would start her. I do plan on adding some small performance modifications to the truck to bump up efficiency and horsepower but also do not want it to pull away too much from comfort and towing capabilities. If I could share a few initial thoughts/questions, I would love some member feedback and suggestions.

CPU/Chip - I have considered both a throttle chip for a custom tune chip. Throttle response (pedal commander) seems like an easy install and boost in mpg and horsepower. But when adding other mods (below) would it be better to go for a custom tune type of chip (Diablo Sport inTune)?

Cold Air Intakes - Seems like a simple install and performance gain. Suggestions on brand?

Exhaust - Cat back I assume is best for easier install and non-voiding of warranty? Maybe MBRP or others that still give it a nice throaty sound but not obnoxiously loud? Assuming there are kits that use factory hangers etc?

Tires and rims - Current they have 22" wheels on it. Tasteful, but not sure thats as efficient if I want. Will be looking into options.

Thats about all I think that would be needed IMO to open it up more, give it some nice sounds, but not fully pull away from being a good run around hauling truck.

But I would love to hear what others have or going to be doing. 2016 Ram Hemi 5.7

The Diablo isn't a "chip" per say,it's a hand held tuner.To do anything tune wise to your truck you need to either buy an unlocked PCM or send your PCM into either Tapped Preformance / HP Tuners or Diablo to have them unlock it.You can do a piggyback Pulsar but it's not an actual tuner. Cold air intake and catback exhaust aren't really going to do much in the way of adding power to the truck by themselves,they're more to generate noise then anything unless you do long tube headers /custom tune etc,then they'll help,but on a basically stock untuned truck they aren't going to give you much return for your investment.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

First off, hello and welcome to the forums. There are a lot of knowledgeable people around here as well as great vendors for all your modification needs, Moes performance and Nick@Gotexhaust to name the two outstanding ones on here

I will go through your list and as you laid out and provide feedback/suggestions for each one as best I can.

PCM - As stated above a tuner and custom tune will be your most worthy investment ever for gains. It will really wake up your truck. Hemifever and Jay Greene are two of the best guys around for custom tunes and know these trucks very well.

a pedal commander is a pretty good product but it does not actually improve your MPG or horsepower. It just eliminates your input lag when you press the gas pedal depending on the setting.

Cold Air Intake - Unless you are going to be heavily modifying your engine. Do NOT waste your time and money on an aftermarket CAI. The stock 5.7hemi is actually a true CAI and does plenty good even for a slightly modified engine. If you must, look into an ecodiesel lower intake box. It has a larger cutout.

If you really want to go aftermarket for the looks your two best options are S&B or vararam.

Exhaust - A catback system really isn’t necessary, stock piping for our trucks is actually good. Changing out the muffler is a better option. For a bump in volume that isn’t obnoxious but still has a nice deep tone with very little to basically no drone look into a solo Mach 40. If you like a very deep mean sounding truck then look into the carvan progressive.

Tires/Rims - 20” rims seem to be the sweet spot ride/handle nicely. I personally run stock 20” rims with 275/60R20 Goodyear Duratrac A/T tires and have had great success with them and I live in northern Ontario where we see a ton of snow each year.

Now for some extra information and suggestions. Buy an oil catch can, legit just do it. There are a lot of posts on the forums about them and it’ll help keep your engine/throttle body cleaner. Billet Technology and UPR are the two big sellers around here. I personally run a Billet Technology can.

Second thing is oil changes and the oil/filter type you use. The 5.7hemi is well known for its lifter/cam issues. There has been an insane amount of testing/recording over the years and Redline 5w30 with a royal purple 20-820 filter is a very good combination to keep your engine running in top shape. Oil change intervals are also important don’t keep putting it off and letting the miles build up between changes.

Last thing is manifolds. You’ll see it a lot around here of snapped manifold bolts. It happens to pretty much everyone eventually. When it happens to you, just call it a day by looking into ARH long tube headers. You will see a considerable HP/Tq gain along with the tuner

OP
OP
KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l V8
Thank you both for some great input so far, and valuable information.

So it sounds like the common agreement is the best bang for your buck performance wise is to get a custom tune (not a chip) which Ill need to dig a little into to better understand this process...I guess first question is does that have warranty issues after the fact?

Oil catch can and manifolds sound like a good investment for long term repair headaches. The oil and oil change process I truly believe in, but its great to hear combinations like the 5w30 Redline with the RP filter.

Some great information for me to get started on. One question for the two or you...or others...these mods that we have all discussed, have they impacted towing abilities in a negative way? I do plan on pulling up to 6,500 lbs fairly often. Its a 3.92 if that is material information.

Thanks again!!

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome and congrats on the Ram.

I’ll keep it brief but here’s what I would go with:
Pedal commander for throttle response
Vararam intake
Shorty headers + replace Y pipe. (You will likely have broken manifold bolts anyway so might as well upgrade.
Catch can
I love the look of Methods 305 NV wheels with BFG KO2 rubber.

I don’t have everything on that list yet but I’m slowly working on it. Kids have a funny way of taking priority over mods lol

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you both for some great input so far, and valuable information.

So it sounds like the common agreement is the best bang for your buck performance wise is to get a custom tune (not a chip) which Ill need to dig a little into to better understand this process...I guess first question is does that have warranty issues after the fact?

Oil catch can and manifolds sound like a good investment for long term repair headaches. The oil and oil change process I truly believe in, but its great to hear combinations like the 5w30 Redline with the RP filter.

Some great information for me to get started on. One question for the two or you...or others...these mods that we have all discussed, have they impacted towing abilities in a negative way? I do plan on pulling up to 6,500 lbs fairly often. Its a 3.92 if that is material information.

Thanks again!!

For the custom tune you will need to have your PCM unlocked, or buy an unlocked PCM and keep your original one if you ever need to put your truck back to stock for whatever reason. This will void your warranty though, there is no way around hiding the fact that you've been messing with your PCM even if you put your original unlocked PCM on.

These mods will have no negative impact on your truck at all. You can discuss with your tuner your plans with the truck and that you will be towing that weight with it.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My advice: start small and see how it goes.
Pedal Commander will give you instant gratification, catch can will give immediate results.
Any performance muffler will have a certain amount of cab drone, it's the nature of the beast.
If all you want is a more aggressive sound just swap the tips to 5" ones (assuming you have duals).
Don't waste $ on any type of 'tube & cone' filter setup, either stay stock or go with a Vararam.

Drive & tow with just these first before delving into the world of tuners & warranties.
You might be surprised.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just to add a bit of info to MoparBrents excellent post above. Jay Greene is no longer adding new tuner clients these days,but Ryan Hogan of Flying Ryan Performance is another very excellent tuner to consider if you do look into e-mail tuning it. Talk to both Ryan and Sean (Hemifever) and go from there,which ever one gives you the warmest fuzzy feeling is the one to go with. Besides Billet Tech and UPR ,Moroso makes a very good air/oil seperator aka: catch can,and is another catch can to look into.Mighty Mouse is pretty well acknowledged as making one of the best catch cans if you ever plan on adding boost ie: turbocharging or supercharging it down the road,but is a little overkill if you're just keeping it naturally aspirated.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again group. Amazing feedback. changed my POV on next steps. Ill do some digging and report back but thank you for the excellent feedback. Might be best to wait out the warrenty for a custom tune.

Anytime. We are always here to help and there is always someone on here with the answer to pretty much any question. We are also good at helping spend others money on mods lol