Help. Hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reid76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V-8
Yes I need some help on my 2011 Ram 5.7L V-8. We had the cam and lifters changed out. Threw a oil pressure sensor code due to metal shavings. Had the oil drain. No more codes. Now it seems the hemi tick is louder. Will a non Moly cleaner help? Do I have to do it when they change the oil. I’m not a mechanic obviously. Thanks.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check exhaust manifold bolts. Grab the heat shield at the back of the engine, if it's loose you have broken bolts. That can cause a tick.
And unfortunately some trucks will tick tap and clatter even after rebuild, mine does lol.
Also search this forum for lubrication strategies that may help if its not the bolts.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Use a stethoscope or long screw driver, put it on the valve covers at first start, then on both manifolds. If it is valves, you will hear it through the valve covers, if it is exhaust leak you will hear it through the manifolds.

The Hemi tick I thought I had was actually an exhaust leak that only last maybe 45 seconds on the first start of the day. If it ticks at first cold start, goes away after a minute or two, most likely manifolds. The Hemi valve tick generally stays as the engine warms. The Stethoscope is far and away the easiest way to isolate the noise.

JohnLoves2Ski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear a tick in my 2011, too. I am guessing exhaust, have not dug in yet. I am curious - there are headers available for this rig. If I have swap manifold gaskets, I may consider headers. Anyone ever installed any, and on a scale of 1-10 how tough are they to make fit?
1 = 'it's a 2 hour job, do it'
10 = 'I chopped them up and recycled them after 32 hours of swearing and basking my knuckles in the driveway, then put my manifolds back on.'