Requesting a little help identifying a ticking noise so I can get to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knockknockchamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hey there,

There is a ticking/rattling noise coming from my Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7l Laramie (342000km)

Here the info I've gathered:

1. It does not make the sound when it's cold/on start. It has to heat up first.
2. Oil pressure reads as it should.
3. The sound is present at both idle and while reving/driving, and increases with rev.
4. I'm able to hear it better from underneath the truck than I am from the bay. Also seems to be coming from the passenger side.
5. I've checked the oil multiple times, and there's not sign of any metal shavings.
6. I've checked where the cat bolts on to the manifold all seems well there.
7. This tick has been noticeable for about 2 weeks.

I tried posting a video, but this site won't allow me to do it. I did find a Youtube video that does have the sound, and he identifies it as lifter/roller tick, so I'm like 99% it *is* lifter/roller tick at this point. How long do you think I have until this thing is off the road?

Here's the Youtube video. The sound is between 0:45 and 0:51 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMC_f-goDU

I know it's hard to say how long a motor will last based on this info, but what do you think personally? What's your personal experience?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drive it till she blows! Might run for another 50k, might quit in 50 miles. Such is the life of a hemi owner.

Gunsnfunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You ever figure it out? My 2019 classic 5.7 has the same noise as the YouTube video

Spencer2499

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 - 2016
Engine
5.2 - 6.7
from this it sounds like a lifter problem to me

OP
OP
K

Knockknockchamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Hey fellas. I figured I'd come back and give some closure in case anyone has a similar issue and comes across this thread.

It was, in fact, lifter tick. The engine ended up dying a couple of weeks after I posted this question. The sound never seemed to get worse; it just continued ticking whenever the motor got warmed up. One morning, I went out to start it, it made a little sound (can't remember exactly what it was), and I smelled a slight burning smell. After that, the engine refused to turn over again. It wouldn't even attempt it. I tried a few things just in case (boosted the battery, tried again another day when it wasn't so cold, checked the starter, etc), but she was completely dead at that point.

Oddly enough, about a week after it died, I turned the key and it sounded like it was trying to turn over, and then did nothing.

But she has been officially laid to rest now.

To sum up, if you have:

A tick (NOT a knock)
The tick is non-existent when you start it, and gets worse as the motor warms up
The tick isn't extremely loud from inside the vehicle (if my fans were on full blast, I could barely even hear it)
Your oil pressure reads fine (was told to check this multiple times, but doesn't seem to have any changes when you have lifter tick)
You don't notice any loss of power
You're certain the tick is coming from the motor
The tick matches the sound in the video I posted above (hopefully it still exists by whatever time you're reading this)

You almost certainly have lifter tick, and your truck's time is definitely coming to an end, and there's really no way to predict when. Mine lasted weeks, and others have stories of their trucks lasting for months to a year.

Also, this is somewhat common knowledge for veteran Hemi owners who bother to know what's what, but I didn't know.. So I'll give you the warning. Do NOT needlessly idle your truck. Don't sit in your truck on the phone drinking your coffee while your truck idles (I live in Canada, and it was freezing, so I did this regularly). This is technically probably a bad idea in any vehicle, but it's particularly bad in Hemis. My motor was high mileage, but I took very good care of it, so there's a good chance my idling caused it to die sooner than it otherwise would have.

Consider yourself warned.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have a valve that snapped and then later fell into the piston chamber. That'd do it.