Help identifying the two hoses directly above my lower radiator hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NW_Neil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is the '06 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I am curious if anyone can tell me what these two hoses just above my lower radiator hose are and if it's okay to remove them to get to my lower radiator hose (please refer to the attached picture)? I'm thinking that they are coolant lines for my heater core. I am wondering because I want to replace my lower radiator hose, but I cannot access the spring tabs on the hose clamp from the underside of my tuck. So I would like to know if I can temporarily remove these two lines where they are circled in the picture, replace my lower radiator hose and then reattach these two hoses. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3490(2).jpg
    IMG_3490(2).jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 22

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are heater hoses, Drain the radiator first, you should replace the heater hoses as well, make sure you burp the system when you're done, what condition is your antifreeze in.

OP
OP
N

NW_Neil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great, thank you for the reply! Any thing I should be aware of when burping the system? Do I need to burp the heater hoses as well? I will be replacing my antifreeze with Mopar's HOAT coolant and will be putting in a new OEM thermostat while I'm at it.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you have a good plan going, but I would replace the heater hoses while the system is drained.
I have an ‘07 1500 with the 5.7 and I drained my radiator and replaced it along with the hoses and coolant and thermostat and didn’t do anything special upon refilling.

OP
OP
N

NW_Neil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you have a good plan going, but I would replace the heater hoses while the system is drained.
I have an ‘07 1500 with the 5.7 and I drained my radiator and replaced it along with the hoses and coolant and thermostat and didn’t do anything special upon refilling.
Thank you for the recommendation, I think that I will go ahead and put knew heater hoses in while I am at it. Do you have a suggestion for what heater hoses I should use and where I can find them? Thanks!

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should be able to buy the heater hoses from a local auto parts store.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the recommendation, I think that I will go ahead and put knew heater hoses in while I am at it. Do you have a suggestion for what heater hoses I should use and where I can find them? Thanks!
How many miles on your truck? If you're near 120k miles, and it has the stock water pump, you might as well swap it out since they're cheap enough. Save you from having to get back in there again lol.

Also I usually buy my hoses from rock auto. Good prices and shipping isn't too bad.

OP
OP
N

NW_Neil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many miles on your truck? If you're near 120k miles, and it has the stock water pump, you might as well swap it out since they're cheap enough. Save you from having to get back in there again lol.

Also I usually buy my hoses from rock auto. Good prices and shipping isn't too bad.
Great recommendation, thank you! My truck is almost to 160k so I went ahead and got the inlet and outlet heater hoses off of rock auto. It's been a great truck so far, I did the spark plugs and coil pack this summer along with the pcv valve. It's been fun to work on it and its running great.