HELP problems with my well taken care of Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medic44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Okay.. first off let me apologize if this is not in the right spot. I have have a 2012 Ram 1500 4 Door crew 4x4 with 4.7 V8 engine. I love my vehicles and really love this one.. I take care of it and it is approx. 2 yrs and 10 months old and approx. 18790 miles.. thats it.. has not seen our family ranch even yet. now I have a clunker I drive to and from work mostly so the Ram only has Hwy. miles.

Now to the probs, hope some one can pinpoint or give advice.
I drove it last week about 8 miles to pick up my kids from school (last friday) and had no issues. I has sat all week and yesterday I drove it to pick my kids up and the A/C does not blow cold air. I was like WTF! my truck has low mileage.. anyway, I looked under the hood and noted the clutch spins when a/c is on and stops when i turn it off... today i did a little further looking and noted that the frame below the cab, passenger side, appeared wet or had something on it.. so i crawled under and noticed had like slippery substance similar to oil.. i looked further and noted a small tube protruding out from the firewall that sits above that side of the fram and it had a drip of fluid on it.. I touched it and noted was mainly clear with an off color and slippery.. I take it that tube is the drain for the water that condensates on the compressor thing?? and runs out.. i have seen the water puddles about that area under the truck during the summer.. so I take it no oil stuff should be there.. Anyone have clues to this.. Just trying to get a round about diagnosis and time frame of what actually has to be done... I am taking it in to Dodge on Nov. 3 and they already kinda gave me the run around about a loaner vehicle.. saying we have to make sure its covered.. I was like the damn thing sat for a week and this happened and it only has 18K miles on it... I bought extra coverage to 100,000 miles.. duh..
Also I saw where some oil gunk was collecting near where the A/C compresser attaches to the engine body.. appears to be coming from the rocker cover?? valve cover?? maybe needs to be tightened.. This should be covered too, right? Hope some of my concerns can be quelled... Just hope some one is familiar with these symptoms or have heard of this... I just hope they dont have to tear the crap outa the interior and things.. but it needs fixing. Thanks for any and all help its appreciated.. just want to be able to give info when I take it in so they dont look at me like im a dummy. :)

Also forgot.. when I turn the A/C on i smell a strong strange odor.. and after seeing that liquid I am picturing all this fluid stuff that is inside my dash blowing fumes of what ever they use for the A/C coolant.. will this make me sick or hurt my lungs later...? Just see them fixing it but not cleaning it out and every time I turn my A/C on it blows toxic fumes inside my cab with all who are in it...

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may have a coolant leak in the heater coil box and every time you turn on the A/C or heat you have a antifreeze smell. do you get a white mist when you turn defroster on ??

OP
OP
M

medic44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I don't smell coolant...after looking further maybe this oil is Pag oil?.. something must have blow up or ruptured. .but IDK what is inside the dash on the passenger side..I do know the condensation runoff also drains from that same tube..the heater works great..no mist from any position on the A/C control and the diversion doors seem to function fine and change where air goes.....never heard or seen the symptoms I have.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinkin bad condenser. Not easy or cheap to replace either. =(

OP
OP
M

medic44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
well I have extended warranty. ..6 yrs or 100,000 miles... I currently have 18,790 miles and it's 2 yrs 10 months old..plenty early .

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even if you didn't have the extended warranty, it's still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty (for 2 more months).