Help! (Tire question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the answer is in the forum somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm trying to find out the largest tire that will fit on a stock 2017 Power Wagon with stock wheels. Can someone please answer my question?

Thanks in advance.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I believe that is the largest without lift and or cutting. 315/70/17 also fit.

20181003_103401.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you had a chance to see how the Ironman's perform in the snow?

I moved to Oregon from Colorado. Castle Rock area.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 325 70R17 Falken Wildpeak is between a 35 12.50R17 and 315 70R17. So in theory it should be a fit.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Correction...The Falken 325 70R17 is actually 12.8" wide which is wider than a 35 12.50R17 by 0.3" and just as tall as the tallest 35" tire at 34.8". So it's larger, not between the two sizes. No personal experience with this larger size.

I am running the size of 285 75R17 @ 34.1" height due to living 7 miles downhill from a Colorado ski area. It's currently snowing there. I prefer a tall and skinnier M&S tire when dealing with unplowed deep snow. Wider is good for snowboards and skis.

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

Last edited:

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
35x12.50 KM3's on stock wheels. 17' also. Keep in mind that the tires measure out at 34" tall on the truck as BF Goodrich runs short.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
35x12.50 KM3's on stock wheels. 17' also. Keep in mind that the tires measure out at 34" tall on the truck as BF Goodrich runs short.

I kept reading how the BFGs ran small but my Toyo MTs measured 33.75 front and 34 rear... A buddy of mine said his 37 inch Toyos are a hair over 36 on his Jeep. Running small doesn’t seem to be only a BFG thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
I've run through ALOT of actual tire size vs advertised size threads across multiple venue forums so I try to report exactly what I'm seeing with a tape measure on the ground and with the weight of my truck on them. I'm sure you've seen how personal some people take this choice. I've had good luck with BF Goodrich whether it be off road or sport car performance tires. I actually only had one issue with the stock tires. They wore funny. They did chunk in the rocks but I never had a flat. They were also way too small for the truck, but on a positive note Discount gave me $75/ea. in trade in with 20K on them. I'm happy with my choice...so far and mostly, that's all that matters. I can say with authority, regardless of what I see on any forum, that when it comes down to it, I really wish that I got what I paid for...exactly, 35" tall tires, return in services and investment on my taxes, you know, those kinds of things, but I'll deal with reality. :rolleyes:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
There's quite a difference between tire manufacturers advertised 35" tire sizes. The BFG KO2 35 12.50R17 has an unmounted specification undersized diameter of 34.5", whereas, the Kelly Safari TSR of the same size is stated at a whopping 1" taller at 35.5" or 1/2" oversized. The majority of the other tire manufacturers such as the Toyo Open Country M/ T are specified as 34.8".

Happy with my ST Maxx tires due to they are specified 34.06" for a 285 75R17. 34.06" is an oversized tire and is actually equivalent to a 285 76R17 size. The majority of other tires manufacturers including BFG run their tires in the 285 75R17 smaller, except for Toyo. As mounted the tires with 4,000 miles of wear measure in at 33.25" across the center. Basically 33". KIMG0472.jpg

Last edited:

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I know the answer is in the forum somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm trying to find out the largest tire that will fit on a stock 2017 Power Wagon with stock wheels. Can someone please answer my question?

Thanks in advance.
The following link is to Thuren Fabrication website and a very knowledgeable individual and team regarding all Dodge/ RAM trucks including Power Wagon specifics. This link should take You right to the info you seek, according to Thuren.
http://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/tire-and-wheel-fitment.html

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sdreeser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If u go on customwheeloffset.com you can look up the actual real tire size diameter and width inflated of almost any tire you are looking for.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
There's quite a difference between tire manufacturers advertised 35" tire sizes. The BFG KO2 35 12.50R17 has an unmounted specification undersized diameter of 34.5", whereas, the Kelly Safari TSR of the same size is stated at a whopping 1" taller at 35.5" or 1/2" oversized. The majority of the other tire manufacturers such as the Toyo Open Country M/ T are specified as 34.8".

Happy with my ST Maxx tires due to they are specified 34.06" for a 285 75R17. 34.06" is an oversized tire and is actually equivalent to a 285 76R17 size. The majority of other tires manufacturers including BFG run their tires in the 285 75R17 smaller, except for Toyo. As mounted the tires with 4,000 miles of wear measure in at 33.25" across the center. Basically 33". View attachment 143229

Toyo and General (not all models) were the ones that came up most often as close to 35". I almost went Toyo but they were all order to ship in my area so I also wanted something I could find fast just in case. Of course I have never actually had an issue with any of the BF Goodrich tires I have owned so probably not a big deal. I've also had good luck with General. I had to get rid of a set of Bridgestone Duelers on my Scout due to age, so again another good tire. Same thing with Michelin's on my Discovery II. Actually, most modern tires are pretty good compared to my Co-Op Grip Spurs I ran in high school. Of course if I could get them now I would most definitely run them on the Scout again, even with the 10K life span and rolling like a brick every morning for the first 10 miles.

Sdreeser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Some tires in the 315 size like Nittos and Toyos actually measure bigger than 35 inch dia. I think I might go with the Nitto ridge grappler in 315 which measures around 35.4 inch inflated after my Toyo mt. wear out

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Toyo and General (not all models) were the ones that came up most often as close to 35". I almost went Toyo but they were all order to ship in my area so I also wanted something I could find fast just in case. Of course I have never actually had an issue with any of the BF Goodrich tires I have owned so probably not a big deal. I've also had good luck with General. I had to get rid of a set of Bridgestone Duelers on my Scout due to age, so again another good tire. Same thing with Michelin's on my Discovery II. Actually, most modern tires are pretty good compared to my Co-Op Grip Spurs I ran in high school. Of course if I could get them now I would most definitely run them on the Scout again, even with the 10K life span and rolling like a brick every morning for the first 10 miles.

I have run BFG KO tires for several sets on my older full size 4x4 pickups, but not the KO2. I like the 34.4" tire height of the 315 70R17 BFG KO2 due to when it's fully inflated I have read that it will still tightly fit underneath in the spare location on the latest model Power Wagons.

However, my issue with the KO2 is not the height of the tire, but the tread depth. I am quite familiar with the tires. I have purchased the KO2 tires for my daughter's Jeep, but stopped short of purchasing them for my pickups. My son ran the KO2 on both his Ram 2014 2500 and his Tacoma. I worked with him in dealing with tire balancing issues of a new set of KO2 tires of which the tire dealership didn't stand behind. We went to many tire dealerships other than the one that they were purchased at and they stated that they were unable to get the tires balanced. After that I purchased a set for my daughter's Jeep with no issues, other than it being totalled soon afterwards when the tires lost their grip. It was not the fault of the KO2 tires, but the driver's speed in the extreme cold (minus 46F) and poor winter road conditions near Gunnison, Colorado.
KIMG0011.jpg
Anyhow, I still wanted a deeper tread depth than the KO2 for my full sized pickups.

The KO tires had a 1/2" tread depth, but their latest KO2 tires are just 15/32". My travel trailer tires tread depth were even deeper when new at 1/2". Both living and driving across state lines in snow during the winter I would prefer to start out with at least a 1/2" tread depth when new in order to get some useful wet traction life out of the tires. When the tires wear down to a 6/32" tread depth they aren't too good in deep snow and it's time to think about replacing them.

At least one western state has a 6/32" tread depth as their minimum requirement in snow without the use of chains. There are plenty of new 18/32" plus tread depth on 35" tires available. A deeper tread depth for driving in both mud and deep snow never hurts when it comes to wet road traction.

Last edited:

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
I'm in Houston so snow and ice are infrequent and I'll definitely bow to your experience there. The KM3's are only 18/32" so a little over 1/2" tread depth. I did look at tires like the Nitto Mud Grappler which is deeper at 21/32" but the reviews on noise kept me away, that and I've heard a few on the interstate which is impressive with the windows up. They also show closer to 35" on a wheel.