Help w/ info my father's truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TejasRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
My father passed away recently and my brother and I agreed that I'd keep his truck. My plan was to drive it from my hometown to where I live in Dallas (about 5 hr drive) at the end of the month. About 3 weeks ago, someone started a fire on the trailer that was attached to the truck. It got put out but not before damaging the taillights, the bumper and the tailgate. I'm hoping to track down replacement parts and get them shipped out there but I'm unsure about options and trim package options. Can someone help me track down model information or point out any considerations before I order parts? All I really have right now is the picture linked below.

Thanks in advance for any information.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NHVqbaqSHLpKg2Zx6

Reactions: Mop

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Condolences on the loss of your father.

I am pretty sure some of the parts on there are not factory - basically all of the lower trim/running boards.
They may be original but I don't think so.

Also it appears as if the tailights are not stock, but it is hard to tell from the side.
You could use the factory taillights from a wrecking yard to be able to drive it home.

It would be much easier to see exactly what you have after it is in your possesion.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
All you need legally in TX to operate a motor vehicle on the road is lights, turn signals good tires, and wipers.

Just get some lights from amazon, they are $45 for both prime last time I checked. If the wiring is not good, bring wire with you, or order it online from ebay with the pig tails.

OP
OP
T

TejasRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Thank you for the responses and the condolences. It caught us completely by surprise and my mom who had been sick for some time passed a few weeks later so we've been kind of numb and it's been hard to talk about some of these things. I went ahead and ordered a set of tail lights from Amazon (the ones for non sport package) along with a license plate light. I assume the sport package is for the trim where the bumpers are covered and match the body? Once I get it home, I'll take my time get some better info and likely come back with more questions as I really see what else the truck may need.

Reactions: Mop

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Wow bummer buddy to lose both just a few weeks apart. Sorry for your loss.

The tail lights will fit on any year 2nd gen regardless of the equipment package, just may look different than originally equipped, harness should be the same for the lights.

The sport package is a bit different, but I believe the trim around the fenders and wheel wells was an option that could be purchased when new, not to many trucks around with that trim.

OP
OP
T

TejasRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I wanted to say thanks. I got the truck back to the DFW area without any issues. I did get a fault code as I was leaving but it was the thermostat stuck open and that cleared up with a flush and replacement thermostat. I'm getting the cracked windshield replaced tomorrow and am looking for a replacement tailgate. It's been the strangest experience going through the truck to clean up the inside and finding notes he scribbled to himself for work or groceries. I'm going to take my time and really try to get his truck better than new. Anyway, thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get further into the work. Here are a few more pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g9H66oPpMtGpybX76
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMasZNsDFKYzvRZK9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4CS8AVAoAE7VgPN8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3C3JwG5qtCEHFP6G9

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
does not look that bad most parts for this truck which I did own a 96 8 foot bed you can find on Ebay some used or new for reasonable prices tons of stuff just take your time and read all they post with item good luck and my condolences to you and your family over your Dad by the way he had a nice truck keep it in the family

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
You could probably get that tailgate repainted for about 200-300, or look for one at a scrap yard, prob $50-100.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Try car-part.com to locate parts. Great parts locator for salvage yard parts. I have been able to locate parts quite a few times in the correct color that I didn't even have to paint.