Help with a oil pump install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi to everyone. I'm changing my oil pump on my 318/5.2 ram. I had read that u have to prime the oil pump after u install it? Long story short, I had to tear apart my 95 dodge to replace my heater core, it was plugged, that's done. I had to change my timing chain cover, it was leaking oil. I put on new timing chain and gears, new harmonic balancer, new water pump, new thermostat/ and water outlet, new oil sencer, new cooling sencer, all new heater hose's. All of that is done. I'm ready to install new oil pump. I figured since I was changing the oil pan gasket to go ahead and install a new oil pump since it has 224,000 miles on it. Years ago, I watched my uncle change a oil pump and I remember him using vasoline to prime the pump. Is that what u use? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is what I have done for the last 20 years.

Get the oil pump pick-up tube installed.

Fill a small drain pan or coffee can with a quart of oil.

Find an Allen head but or socket that will fit the oil pump hex drive. I think a 10mm or possibly a ⅜ will fit but get one that will at least turn it. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Put the Allen socket or bit in your drill.

Put the oil pump pick-up tube in the oil and slowly turn the pump drive until oil starts to flow out of the top.

It only takes a few minutes.

Install the pump and torque the bolts to spec.

If you really want to, disconnect the ignition coil wire and crank the engine for 20 seconds to prime the system once the pan is back on and oil is in the pan.

OP
OP
fourpoint7

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much mopar. I would of answered u back sooner but had to go to work. U tought me something, thanks a million. I installed the tube yesterday and used teflon tape on the threads, I hope that's ok?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks so much mopar. I would of answered u back sooner but had to go to work. U tought me something, thanks a million. I installed the tube yesterday and used teflon tape on the threads, I hope that's ok?
Hey man. No problem. ND yes, it's absolutely okay to install the pick-up tube with Teflon Tape on the threads.

I am really picky when it comes to engine building and the oiling system is such a key piece to engine longevity and performance. I watched my Dad prime oil pumps like that when I was really young so naturally it stuck with me all these years.

I see mechanics install the pumps dry or pour oil into the outlet holes and there isn't anything they are doing that says it won't survive but for just a little extra effort and a few more minutes you can totally lubricate and prime the internals of the pump and be done knowing that it has oil inside.

OP
OP
fourpoint7

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 95 ram sport back in 2003. In 2009, my water pump took a poo poo. So stupied me, I changed it in the dead middle of that winter. But not realizing I over titend the 4 long bolts that hold the water pump and timing cover on, so it started to leak a little oil. Then a year later the new water pump gasket started leaking. Not having the time to tear it down like I did now, I ended up putting barrs leak in the cooling system. I know- that barrs leak eventually plugged my heater core. To finish my long story, I drove the truck like that up intill last winter, the damn broke and antifreeze poured out. I was blessed last year and had the opportunity to buy a 2011 dodge ram sport in time to park my 95 and fix it the right way. I can't wait to fire her up after it sat all this summer while I done major surgery on her. I am blessed that I had a uncle that could fix anything and we worked out of his garage for oh.... my 35+ years. He worked for Inland steel for 32 years and worked on everyone's car. We did anything and everything- tune ups, brakes, we even painted part of his boss's station wagon. So all my mechanical skills my uncle tought me. I can fix brakes in my sleep. We only changed one oil pump that I can remember so I was a little rusty on how to prime the pump but people like u mopar I am grateful for. As soon as I prime the pump and install the oil pan, hook up all my heater hoses I can finally fire it up. I will keep u posted.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
fourpoint7

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To everyone that read my post on a new oil pump install on 10/5/19.
Oil pump went on without a hitch. I finally got to start up my 95 last night. She's alive but still sick. I have to fix a few small issues yet. I would say I did a simi rebuild to her. I replaced the following and she really needed it- New heater core, new timing chain and gears, new timing cover, new water pump, new thermostat and water outlet tube. All new heater hoses. New oil pump (that I give part credit to Senior member Fast69mopar) for helping me. (tought me how to prime the pump-thank you again) New oil pan gasket, new aftermarket radiator and cap- which didn't fit my truck. The radiator was and is 1/8 inches off of the original bolts, so I just used 2 inch self tapping screws and it done the trick. I also replaced all the old vacuum hoses, fresh oil change and filter. I fired the truck up for the first time in 5 months. At first, it made this loud ticking sound, I was so nervous, I turned the engine off after only 1 minute. Checked the oil like 10 times, come to find out, the oil stick was reading I was a quart low. I know I put a gallon jug of oil in her but was still a quart low. I added a 6th quart and that did it. I started her back up and let her run for about 5 minutes. The ticking went away and I was waiting for her to build pressure. After 4 minutes, I looked under the truck for leaks, and it happend. She started to gush antifreeze. I shut her down thinking- I didn't install something right. I crawl under her to see where it was coming from. The first thing I noticed is stupied me forgot to titen the lower radiator hose clamp. So I fixed the clamp, poured more antifreeze in but it got too late so I closed shop for the night. I'm going out to fire her back up in a few minutes and hopefully that clamp was the problem.

20190902_135535.jpg

20190903_151959.jpg

20190902_135525.jpg

20190903_151959.jpg

20191014_121306.jpg