Hemi tick lawsuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live m Georgia and local news channel WSB tv was investigating the Hemi tick. Talked about customers suing over it and that lawyers are trying to get a class action status. Anyone know anymore about this?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to know what the basis of the lawsuit actually is. Yes, it's "hemi tick" but you just can't sue somebody because you don't like it. "hey, he looked at me funny so I'm suing him". You have to have some reasoning why the "hemi tick" is causing some negative affect on people's life, Ram did it purposely and/or mal-intentions, and it's unreasonable. I think if you sued every car manufacturer because they had a vehicle that required some sort of repair out of warranty, where would we be at. In the long run the only thing most people will would get out of this is higher new truck prices....if this case goes forward and even if Ram wins, they will probably wind up paying millions of dollars in attorney fees, and those costs will be passed on in the forms of higher vehicle cost.

Light299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas
The basis of the lawsuit is premature lifter failure on hemi engines. All signs point to a design defect. While Ram's silence on the matter is not unexpected for a manufacturer, several customers who have experienced the failures under warranty have had an extremely hard time getting any replacement. It's one thing to stay silent about a design flaw, it's another to try to disclaim responsibility and blame the customer.

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to know what the basis of the lawsuit actually is. Yes, it's "hemi tick" but you just can't sue somebody because you don't like it. "hey, he looked at me funny so I'm suing him".
Point of fact: in the USA you can sue just about anyone for just about any reason. It will likely get thrown out of court by the judge, but that doesn't mean the other party doesn't have to respond to the suit, often needing to hire a lawyer to do so. It's a harassment tactic that has been used for a long time.

coronajeep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At what miles does it more often become a problem, or fail? Does lubrication matter?
Thank you,
David

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
yep, you will get a couple dollars and the lawyers gets millions.

Don’t do it.
Yes, you're right but the point is that Stellantis will have to PAY millions as a result of their behavior. Simple fact of life: you can't correct bad behavior without consequence. It won't matter to Stellantis WHO gets the millions, only that they were forced to pay it.

If they wind up with a huge judgement against them, it's well deserved in my opinion. This is a well known issue that has gone on for probably a decade and Stellantis has been happy to pretend it doesn't exist. Posters on this forum have reported paying $7k and up to repair or replace their engines. Yeah, I hate that lawyers are going to be the winners in this mess but I'm on the side of the consumer and this is the only way to hold manufacturers accountable.

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced my Cam and lifters, with 190,000 miles. Ram made a product and the lifters go after the warranty period, they won't lose. It sucks and doing it right means a two day job if all goes well, but it will save you thousands. If you don't know how to change the cam and lifters, there are some YTube videos. But, a class action lawsuit won't go far if at all.

ptc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are the Hemi lifters that are ticking sound like an exhaust leak for the most part and then goes away after the engine warms up? OR is that a real exhaust leak???? Mine is doing that now at 135,000 miles but I only hear it on the passenger side and only for about 5 or so minutes after starting a cold engine. Are the lifters hydraulic or solid?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are the Hemi lifters that are ticking sound like an exhaust leak for the most part and then goes away after the engine warms up? OR is that a real exhaust leak???? Mine is doing that now at 135,000 miles but I only hear it on the passenger side and only for about 5 or so minutes after starting a cold engine. Are the lifters hydraulic or solid?

If it goes away after 5 minutes then 99% probability it's just exhaust. Damaged lifters tick at all times.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yearly head gaskets in Subarus? Apex seals in every rotary ever?

Just because a design ends up having issues doesn't mean they will have to pay up. Only some sort of gross negligence or possible warranty claim fulfilment issues will get them to go down in court.

Nawlinssaints1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question: I have a 19 Ram Classic Warlock. Love the truck. However I am scared of the dreaded tick. I heard a suggestion of using 20 instead of 30 weight. What is you all thoughts on this. Thanks.

medicpeach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the Ram hemi's lifters are nearly horizontal compared to other V8's that are nearly vertical. So of course the more common vertical lifters get a much better oil supply. Keep your engine oil full!

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2010 DODGE Ram 1500. 211,000 MILES. The only thing that has been replaced under the hood besides regular maintenance was a $50.00 idler pully. I do have the MOPAR Lifetime Warranty . Is my 5.7 HEMI different than the ones that are failing. The first 180,000 miles were ran on MOPAR 5W20 conventional oil.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2010 DODGE Ram 1500. 211,000 MILES. The only thing that has been replaced under the hood besides regular maintenance was a $50.00 idler pully. I do have the MOPAR Lifetime Warranty . Is my 5.7 HEMI different than the ones that are failing. The first 180,000 miles were ran on MOPAR 5W20 conventional oil.
How often do you change your oil ? Just curious, thanks .

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to know what the basis of the lawsuit actually is. Yes, it's "hemi tick" but you just can't sue somebody because you don't like it. "hey, he looked at me funny so I'm suing him". You have to have some reasoning why the "hemi tick" is causing some negative affect on people's life, Ram did it purposely and/or mal-intentions, and it's unreasonable. I think if you sued every car manufacturer because they had a vehicle that required some sort of repair out of warranty, where would we be at. In the long run the only thing most people will would get out of this is higher new truck prices....if this case goes forward and even if Ram wins, they will probably wind up paying millions of dollars in attorney fees, and those costs will be passed on in the forms of higher vehicle cost.
Pretty sure Ram/Stellantis is paying their lawyers either way. Also, the truck prices are stupid high anyway. IMO, if they have a design flaw, then they should be held responsible to fix it. As customers paying ridiculously high prices for these vehicles, we need to demand better from the automakers. My 2019 Laramie was 62k and change sticker price. I got it 12k off of sticker. Now, my same truck in a 23 or 24 model is more than I paid for our first house, which was 75k...and it's not like I'm old. I'm 44.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Once the warranty expires,it does not matter to Stella .